MLB: August 2016

The Blue Jays set the major league record for most strikeouts in a 4 game series with 61, and still manage to win 3 of the 4 games. It helps to allow only 6 runs in 4 games.

Just dreadful hitting, but flawless pitching.

Edwin Encarnation now has five straight 30-homer seasons.

The Astros have picked a really bad time to go ice cold; still possible to salvage the season but they need to be nearly flawless the rest of the way.

Zero luck with the highly-touted prospects as well; Bregman has 2 singles in 9 games so far.

Not really, because another hideous asshole already did.

I admit the joy is somewhat more muted than it once might have been, but I admit I despite Rodriguez far more than I ever did Bonds. By a mile.

Mark Texiera expected to retire at end of season

via http://cbssportsapp.com

In the seventh inning stretch at the Reds-Pirates tonight, everybody is invited to hold up a placard on which they have written the name of someone they know who has had cancer. This is in order to take a solid stand against cancer.

I love gestures like that. The “breast cancer” games that MLB and the NFL do, especially. With the pink gear.

My mom was a breast cancer survivor. She got diagnosed in 2000. She had a lumpectomy, but refused chemo. She went to work instead. On her lunch break, she’d drive over, get her radiation treatment, then go back to work.

That’s a tough woman. If I go to the bank and Wal-Mart in the same day, I need a nap

The Jays set another rather dubious record tonight: their last 15 home runs have all been solo homers, which is a new team record. Get some baserunners on for those, guys!

Oh, and the Blue Jays MVP for the season was pretty definitively determined in the ninth inning: the ear flap on Josh Donaldson’s helmet, which just barely saved him from eating an 87 MPH changeup. I saw the Jays’ season flash before my eyes when I saw him take that pitch right in the head. :eek:

A-Rod’s holding a press conference tomorrow w/Yankee management.

Lol! Just came here to post the same thing, can’t be retirement unless he’s getting a buyout or a cushy job with the organization, right?

“Lou Gehrig” type of announcement, maybe?

Or perhaps “Charlie Sheen” type?

Just as long as he’s gone, that’s the important thing.

It’s a cushy job with the organization. At least it’s better than a phony DL stint until September

And Ichiro gets #3000 on a triple

How appropriate that a Ichiro got his 3,000th on a triple.

How appropriate A-Rod’s retirement announcement pushes a class act like Ichiro off the front page. ESPN’s baseball page is 90% A-Rod.

I figure things come in threes so Donald Trump will insult Ichiro at some point today.
Ichiro is batting .317 this year, too, so this is no charity case. He’s helping the Marlins win ballgames.

It was great to see Ichiro reach 3000. I hope he continues to play in Japan if he’s not offered a contract in MLB next year.

If you’re over 35 and wearing pinstripes, get the fuck out. Tex, Beltran, A-Rod…watch out CC. Hopefully, this will be a proper rebuild. I want to see a lot of young talent coming up mixed with a few free-agents and/or trades.

Of course, being the Yankees, they might take all of these newly acquired prospects and trade them for some past-their-prime veterans.

He’s still got some serious wheels despite his age.

Madison Bumgarner threw a complete game against the Nats yesterday, holding them to 1 run on 2 hits…and lost.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

If the Giants are going to get shut out (and they are) they should do it on Samardzjia’s turn in the rotation when they’re going to lose anyway.