MLB: August 2016

ESPN’s MLB page is 90% Yankees and Red Sox almost every day. The other 10% is usually the Giants. It makes it hard for me to take the EPSN web site seriously.

Weird, the Cubs sent Tommy LaStella to the minors and he still hasn’t reported. Not a way to stay up with the big club, especially with a talent laden team like the Cubs

Reports say La Stella had “family business in New Jersey” to attend to. Am I a bad person if that sounds… suspicious?

:wink:

Hoping for an out-and-out release, maybe?

Neither has Yasiel Puig, I understand.

It’s fun being a Ranger fan right now. It may not last, but it’s fun for the time being. They stole one from the Rockies.

Nice slide, Buster.

Made it to my first Cards game of the season. It was one of the more entertaining games I’ve seen. The first 8 2/3 innings were terrible: no runs, 0 for 11 with RISP.

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and one runner on, they scored five to win 5-4, tying it with a bases-loaded walk, capping it off with a walk-off HBP.

Hey, whatever works.

Brandon Crawford of the Giants collected 7 hits tonight in their 14 inning victory.

Today must be the exception that proves the rule. Plenty of Cardinals info, also Dodgers, Marlins, Cubs etc. No Red Sox stuff in the first bunch of stories.

You even have to scroll down half a dozen items or more to get to the A-Rod crap.

Let’s see:

Top headlines:
Giants (Brandon Crawford)
Tim Tebow
Red Sox and A-Rod
Giants (Brandon Crawford)
Puig (in the minors)
Giants (Bochy)
Ichiro
A-Rod

Scrolling down:
Giants (Posey’s slide)
Cardinals (Yay! Go Cardinals)
A-Rod
Managers
A-Rod

Here’s the current division leaders:
Orioles
Indians
Rangers
Nationals
Cubs
Giants

Of the division leaders, only the Giants have a story on the MLB Home page. No Red Sox stories, though.

Prince Fielder to retire due to neck injury. I was recently looking at the list of MLB home run leaders and noted that he and his father Cecil were tied at 319, where apparently they’ll remain.

Wow, how do you like that? And he only had 20 more RBIs than his dad, too.

I like these little bits of sporting serendipity.

In other news, there’s currently a minor league player, Francisco Mejia of the Cleveland organization, who has a 48-game hitting streak. It’s the longest minor-league streak in over half a century.

Something i learned from this story: Joe DiMaggio, in addition to holding the MLB streak record, also holds second place among minor league streaks, with 61 in 1933.

LaStella continues his bizarre holdout from the minor leagues. Just seems completely unnecessary when there’s a chance he could end up with a World Series ring and is surely a lock to be called up after roster expansion in September. He’s always been nothing but a utility infielder and pitch hit guy with the Cubs and I’m not sure he’d be a regular starter if he was still with the Braves.

Levine: Tommy La Stella's Walkout Forces Cubs To Look For A Bat - CBS Chicago

A lifelong dream fulfilled…sort of.

Growing up in Southern California and listening to Vin Scully doing Dodger games, I’ve always wanted my own name to be uttered by the MAN himself. And it finally happened last night!

In the first inning, Scully was going over the defensive lineup of the visiting Phillies and he mentioned one player’s last name (which is also my given name), then the next player’s last name (which is also my family name). And in the process, unintentionally said my full name. I was like WOW!!! :eek:

After the game, I replayed and recorded the audio portion of the game and saved that little snippet for myself. A dream fulfilled. :smiley:

A Maricopa County, Arizona supervisor, after the Diamondbacks asked for millions of money for upgrades to their stadium, told them to take their silly baseball team and leave.

For one glorious day, at least, I can say that all four of the teams in which I have a rooting interest are in first place. I still don’t know how the Dodgers are managing to stay competitive with so little pitching, but I’ll take it.

They sent him down to make room for a guy without any options left. And as you say, he’d have been right back up on Sept 1. It’s exactly the kind of thing teams do all the time. And they’ve said they won’t bring him back unless and until he plays some AAA ball first. Apparently LaStella contemplated retirement before this year, so maybe he’s just fed up with all the back and forth.

One wonders what the hell’s going on. La Stella is a pretty decent player, nothing special but he can get on base and play a hard position. He’s only 27. Probably 25 MLB teams could use him. If Chicago doesn’t need him on the 25-man roster, why didn’t they trade him for something?

If La Stella was legitimately considering retirement going into his age-27 season one wonders if maybe he just doesn’t want to play professional baseball.