MLB: August 2017

They might be bad for a while. A good article explains why.

It’s all about the farm systems, and the Giants, which used to have one of the best, have gradually allowed themselves to become one of the worst. And they’re pretty much committed to guys who are getting old and only going to get older. Their pitching staff reached its peak in 2012. Their rotation has been in steady decline since then and managed to win in 2014 mainly because of one good starter, Mad Bum, and an exceptionally good bullpen. Cueto hasn’t been the help they thought they’d get and even if he were, losing Bumgarner pretty much finished off the Giants staff this season. But the bigger problem is that their lineup is just plain bad - not a down year but just not talented anymore. What used to be a solid mix of two or three stars (Posey, Pence, and Sandoval) and good role players (Crawford, Belt, Panick, Scutaro) are now just not that good. And they’re not going to get better. All good things eventually come to an end. The Giants’ even year magic is gone for good until they get new talent. That’ll probably be a while.

I have lots of points, or so the state police tell me.

Wow, Yanks had their worst defense on display last night for Sonny Gray’s debut.

Wow! What a great play at the plate for the Minnesota Twins. I disagree with the call, but it must stand since there’s not enough evidence to overturn it. As much as I hate replay, at least this one was done quickly and they deferred to the call of the umpire at the plate.

And, of course, it is Bartolo Colon pitching for the Minnesota Twins.

Poor Aaron Bummer. Gave up the walk-off last night, stuck pitching for the White Sox, stuck with a horrible name … at least it’s descriptive.

Yu Darvish gets his first win as a Dodger, fanning 10 batters over 7 innings.

Go, Blue!!

The Reds are a good example of this.

Dodger hitting coach Turner Ward must be regretting the fact that he is so good. He has turned Yasiel Puig around to the point that Yasiel gives him a wet, sloppy kiss after every home run he hits.

Turner is getting damp.

Why are the Detroit Tigers so awful this year? There doesn’t seem to be any dominant team in the AL Central, but certainly the Tigers should be better than the Twins.

Best 50 game stretch in 105 years. 43-7. It’s insane. Much of that is down to hitting and Puig turning around. I would give Turner big sloppy kisses too.

The Tigers are just older and not that good anymore.

Remember what happened to the N.E. Patriots in 2007. Just sayin’…

Anything can happen in the postseason, but the Dodgers have not lost a series of games to another team since back on June 6th. That’s two full months.

Us Nats fans are whistlin’ past the graveyard…

The 2001 Mariners were 116-46. It didn’t help them in October.

Oh sure. Post season is a crap shoot. I’m just enjoying today.

Ditto. Like the sweep of the Mets, with Bellinger’s 32 HR of the season. That kid is just lights-out crazed.

I am no fortune teller but if the Astros and Dodgers are healthy, they’re the two teams that will meet in late October. A big if though…

The Giants are undefeated since the return of Pablo Sandoval to their roster.

If they can just keep that pace for the rest of the season, they should only finish 20 games back of the Dodgers!