MLB (Baseball) Return July 23. 60 game season in 66 days

Yes, the proposal by @FastDan1 would remove the Cubs-Cards rivalry…but, it would also create several new interesting rivalries: Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Royals-Cards, Orioles-Nats, Rays-Marlins (if anybody cared), Angels-Dodgers, Giants-A’s.

Mets-Yankees and Cubs-White Sox don’t need to be the same division now to dislike each other. Sacrificing one of the crown jewels of baseball rivalries seems ridiculously silly. I mean would you separate the Yankees and Red Sox and say, well there are new rivalries now. The Cubs and Cards hate each other just as much.

How about I swap StL and Minn?

While that may work, you just made travel a lot more convoluted for that division, and esp Minnesota.

I’d also note that there is a long tradition of the two leagues (and if any sport loves its traditions, it’s baseball). Simply eliminating them is not likely to be met well.

I have T-Mobile but I don’t see how to get the MLBtv subscription - can someone help
please?

It hasn’t been announced yet by T-Mobile. They’ll likely send an email once it is.

Ah - Thanks!

I wonder. Do blackout restrictions actually work? Do they serve their intended purpose? In all these years of MLB’s policy, has their been any research or study released on how they help the team, owner or city make more money?

My guess is they make the league more money - not the teams

How would that work? It’s the regional broadcasters that dictate the blackout areas, and it’s the teams that negotiate with the regional broadcasters. That’s where the majority of team revenue comes from.

Right, the intended purpose of the blackout restrictions is to allow the local teams to get as much money as they can from regional broadcasters. Regional sports networks would undoubtedly bid far, far less if people in the viewing area can just buy rights directly and bypass them.

Walmart stole my idea for baseball

The Cubs rooftops will be opening but at 25% capacity. I imagine they’ll be some pricey tickets and the all you can drink/eat specials are as ancient history as nickel beer nights

Braves to sign Puig

Lol, how soon can Puig turn the clubhouse toxic?

So it looks like 2 games July 23. Yanks @ Nats & Giants @ Dodgers.

I asked for the title to be changed to reflect. We’re getting close.

MLB is still trying to work out a schedule for games at Wrigley Field with the Cubs trying to add more Friday & Saturday night games just for this season. A city ordinance prevents them from having any Friday night games and severely limits Saturday night games.

MLB is still trying to work out a schedule for games at Wrigley Field with the Cubs trying to add more Friday & Saturday night games just for this season. A city ordinance prevents them from having any Friday night games and severely limits Saturday night games.

And let’s just say that Lightfoot and the Ricketts aren’t the best of friends.

They’ll probably work something out, they’ve lost all the summer concerts and as a resident of the neighborhood, concerts are a far being pain than night games. Bars are strictly limited in capacity (if they even stay open) so there won’t be the crowds flocking to Wrigley for the atmosphere.

Sounds like a Canadian folk-rock group. :smiley:

So the Toronto Blue Jays now need to work out where they’re going to play, because the Canadian government has denied them approval to play in Toronto. Understandably, the Canadians don’t want teams going back and forth across the border with the United States while the US is doing such a shitty job of controlling the pandemic.

In other news, MLB wants $60 for a 60-game season, representing a per-game cost that’s about 30 percent higher than normal seasons.