MLB: July 2012

That is really neat about Dickey. And “last place Phillies” just sounds so wrong!

Yeah, they kinda kicked our asses. Clearly the best team in the NL, as long as the Dodgers stay nice and injured…

Joe

Next Friday afternoon should be interesting, I’m going to be sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley, wearing my Arizona Diamondbacks shirt!

Apparently you can get ejected just for spiking the ball.

Wow. I don’t know how I feel about that one. I mean…ejecting the starting pitcher for spiking the damn ball? The ump made the right call at first. Is there a precedent for such an ejection? I assume there must be, but even the commentators said it was a “quick hook”…I think the ump should have just warned Greinke or something, not tossed him.

Yeah, that’s complete bullshit IMO.

Typical bullshit “it’s about me, not the players” umpiring.

Disagree. You can’t show up an umpire like that.

First, it looked to me like Greinke was simply frustrated with not having got to first base quickly enough. He didn’t seem to be questioning the call, but was mad at himself for not making the play.

Second, and more importantly, i disagree with the whole “can’t show up the umpire” argument. I think it’s bullshit. The umpires are there to officiate the game, and their authority doesn’t change just because one player throws a ball into the ground. There’s no rule against a player expressing disappointment or frustration on the field, and in the absence of further evidence that Greinke said something specifically directed at the umpire, i think the call was complete crap. The umpire should have just calmly walked back to his spot and waited for play to continue.

Wow, they took it to a new level today, getting thrown out trying to advance a meaningless base while two runs down in the ninth inning.

Completely agree. WTF is going on with MLB umpiring these days? It seems to have turned into utter shit.

Well, the Tigers are are over .500 finally, and it seems all the articles that pointed out that Delman Young was the weakest link in any AL batting order may have finally made his balls drop(over the fence)

As for Greinke I am guessing that it is one of the lawyer liability things that was communicated with all the efficiency of a Bengie Molina bunt . But with a couple of lawsuits from idiots throwing things that bounced the wrong way it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a hidden clause prescribing ejection for throwing an object on the field at all after the play is dead.

Seriously, it’s in almost every game they lose now.

After further review, I will flip flop on this issue. :slight_smile: He was clearly not arguing the call and was frustrated with himself. It was a bad ejection.

Career advice for young players:

Sometimes it doesn’t work out, and you get sent down to the minors. Try to take it in stride.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/minor-details/2012/07/hagadone-on-restricted-list.html

Am sure people will have seen this but, in case not, here’s what happens if you were to pitch a baseball at 90% of the speed of light.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

There was a 3.5 hour rain delay at Wrigley yesterday, so I ended up wasting $70 to not see the D-backs lose to the Cubs. I’d been up for 24 hours and worked an overnight shift, so I left after about 90 minutes. I was soaked and exhausted.

I really wish the Cubs would have called the game. However, the D-backs only make one trip to Chicago this year and both Saturday and Sunday are day games. So, unless they were going to do the day night doubleheader nonsense, I guess they had to do anything possible to get the game in.

Rangers/Twins game nearby lightning strike. Look at them go! :slight_smile:

ETA: And I don’t blame them - that was terribly close.

That sucks. I hate it when they wait for hours before making a decision.

That would have been pretty scary stuff.

A guy i know spent a couple of days in hospital back in 2000 after lightning struck the ground where his rugby team was playing in Annapolis, MD. One spectator was killed, and seven other people, mostly players who were on the field at the time, were injured.

That is some serious shit and reminds me of a young Marine I knew who was walking a guard post 20+ years ago in a bad thunderstorm. Camp Lejeune, NC, spring 1991, the days of Desert Storm. Night time, heavy rains, with thunder and lightning all around us. We’re in garrison. He was wearing a radio on his back that had an antenna sticking out and got a direct lightning strike, and bad. Very fortunately he lived, was in the hospital for several days. I think he was alright, nothing permanent, except for the “hole” in the middle of his chest he showed me - it was like a burned bowl-like 1" depression where a regulation softball could nest in.

I lost touch with him, and I hope there’s no lingering permanent effects from it. Not sure if anything ever happened to his NCOIC and/or OIC for having him out in those conditions, especially wearing a lightning rod.

Bringing this back to baseball: how about those SF Giants All Stars! I hope it bodes well for a strong second half. Last night’s win over HOU was a good start. Lincecum needs some major fixing - he goes tonight, and the Giants still could benefit from a big bat to anchor the lineup. Let’s see what Sabean does in the next two weeks before the trade deadline. (And no, I’m not saying we should trade Tim. Not yet.).