MLB: July 2012

Dee Gordon managed to dislocate his thumb on a steal. He’ll likely be joining Ethier on the DL. Just when it was starting to look like the DL might get lonely…

Cliff Lee, in his 14th start of the season, got his first win today!

Actually, unless I am mistaken, the Dodgers took 2 out of 3 from the Redlegs.

Only fans of small market teams are allowed to talk smack in this thread!

:mad:

I know that Davy Lopes has tried to get all the players to stop the head first sliding, and if you watch the team only Kemp and Gordon still slide that way. I don’t know why anyone slides head first anymore, it’s seriously dangerous and not really advantageous.

Edit:

suck it Reds! Booyah! :p;)

Well, of all the people to go to the All Star Game, my #1 choice has been selected: ME! My brother’s practice has Royals season tickets, and he’s giving me one of them. Ever since they announced Kauffman Stadium as the 2012 ASG location, I’ve been wanting to go - but it really didn’t seem a possibility as ticket prices kept skyrocketing. So now I’ll take off Saturday to drive to KC, be able to catch the Futures Game on Sunday, eat BBQ until I explode on Monday, then head back to the park on Tuesday. I honestly cannot wait.

I’m an Indians fan, too. I think I get a pass. :slight_smile:

Then I clarify:

*Only fans of National League small market teams get to talk shit!

Actually, given the Dodgers recent calamitous situation with ownership and injuries, the fact that they are playing pretty well is a cool story. Expectations were really low for them and they have pretty much defied all that. Its hard not to root for a team in sports when they overcome predictions/adversity.

Which is why my Cincinnati Bengals season last year was special to me. All the talking heads were predicting 2-14, 3-13…

Yeah, but it looks cool :wink:

Apparently the Giants are unable to play in the heat. Anybody know the forecast for Pittsburgh this weekend?

Indeed. And nobody looked cooler doing it than this guy: http://ballparkbiz.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/pete_rose_webstory.jpg

It also helped that the Nats’ bats woke up in Colorado, and more surprisingly, stayed awake after leaving that altitude.

Dominguez was a top prospect at one point and an outstanding defensive third baseman. Unfortunately he never developed as a hitter. He is still only like 22, so could get better, but for now is only useful as a defensive replacement. Rasmussen’s upside is a middle reliever or perhaps a fifth starter.

Pete Rose has never ever looked cool. He’s the anti-cool.

And the Nats come back from a 5-1 deficit against the Giants to win 6-5, sweep the series, and improve to 48-32. They’re 4.5 games ahead of the Mets.

Nah, He only became the anti-cool after the gambling allegations and his subsequent meltdown into personal cult-of-personality. He’s a first class d-bag now, selling off his legacy in places like Las Vegas, but he was what he was…Charlie Hustle…

If anything, the gambling helps his coolness. He was anti-cool long before the gambling problems. Just look at that haircut.

West coast not being kind to Cincinnatti. Dammit! And Latos pitched well! What happened to my offense?

:frowning:

I love this Nationals team, and not just because they beat the Giants. They have been a great story all around this year. What’s scary is that they should just keep getting better with all the talent they have in the minors.

What a goddamned joke this Francisco Cordero is. A goddamned joke.

Why the Blue Jays continue to pitch this fat idiot I cannot understand. Aside from the fact that he couldn’t throw a steak past a vegan, last night Cordero allowed his disastrous inning to continue by simply forgetting to cover first on a routine play. It was inexcusable, the sort of thing you’d berate a high schooler for doing.

The moron now has an ERA of 6.00 and is lucky it’s not higher, and has lost six games and probably put another four out of reach with disastrous outings in game where he didn’t technically get the loss but was just as responsible. Jesus Christ.

You are so very welcome!

:slight_smile:

Believe me, I feel your pain. So glad the Reds did not resign that guy.

I would like to pop in to say that I thoroughly enjoyed last night’s Mets comeback win against the last place Phillies.

Whether they overtake the Nationals or not, or even whether they make the playoffs or not, I’m loving the way this team is an example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts. Up and down the lineup there’s nobody other than David Wright (in turn, practically written off this past winter as a guy who would never again be as good as he was in 2008) who would really scare a pitcher, yet they keep grinding out 2-out runs.

And I hope the RA Dickey story continues. It needs a better epilogue than “had an incredibly dominant 6-week stretch in May and June of 2012”. We’re talking about a guy who throws a “rising” knuckleball at 85 MPH for strikes, warms up to the Imperial March from “Star Wars”, comes to bat to the theme music of “Game of Thrones”, and is a pitcher with an 11-game hitting streak who joked that it’s because he named his bat after a fictional sword. Not anything so hackneyed as “Excalibur” either, but Herugrim, the sword of Theoden, Lord of the Riddermark and King of the Riders of Rohan.

He is 110% awesome with 10% filler material.