MLB Season Ending on Wednesday?

As long as I can recall the baseball season has ended on a Sunday. So what happened to make it end on a Wednesday? Is it for TV so the Playoffs can start on the weekend? How did they compress the schedule, more double headers? fewer days off? Start earlier?

It’s so that the World Series ends before November: MLB Major League Baseball News, Expert Analysis, Rumors, Live Updates, & more - Yahoo Sports

They got here by starting earlier (on a Friday for most teams instead of a Monday).

I was happy to see that the playoff formats are consistent this year by league. AL teams, if the series all go to the maximum number of games, will go Fri, Sat, Mon, Tue, Thu for the division rounds; Sat, Sun, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun for the ALCS. The NL will be the same, but delayed by 1 day. I’m pretty sure that previous years has seen days off between games 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, and back to back games between 4 and 5 in the division series. The only scheduled days off are for travel days. The only disappointing thing will be the World Series starting on a Wednesday and game 7 (if necessary) being played on a Thursday. I’d prefer the start on Saturday and game 7 on a Sunday. Like the old days, dammit!

I’d prefer a potential game 6 or 7 on the weekend as well, but if that’s what I have to give up in order to get rid of those bullshit extraordinary offdays in the playoffs, I’ll accept it.