MLB: September/October Regular Season 2022

Brandon Woodruff, the Brewers’ starter tonight against the Rockies, had an excellent outing, giving up 2 hits and one run over seven innings, and exiting the game with a 6-1 lead.

And, then, the Milwaukee bullpen self-destructed, giving up 9 runs in 3 innings, including the game-winning three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th.

something I’ve always wondered when Since I was 5 years old and introduced to baseball …when you’re the starting pitcher and the offense blows a game like that how do you resist using your teammates’ heads for batting/pitching practice especially if it’s a common occurrence ?

(note its sort of rhetorical I mean as far as I know no one ever went after their team for blowing a game)

Braves and the Mets are all tied up now in the NL East.

The Padres are currently 19 games behind the Dodgers, and they’ll still likely end up in the playoffs. Weird.

The Mets have looked very tired lately. It’s a reminder of just what a grind a baseball season really is. Day in, day out through the spring and summer, constant travel, only sporadic days off. And through all of that, performing at the elite level in a very difficult game. They don’t seem quite so overpaid when I think of it that way.

Mets thought they were gonna run away with the division, but Nats took two out of three from them at Citi Field. You’re welcome, Braves! If we’re not going to the playoffs ourselves, the least we can do is play the role of spoiler.

More bad news for the Mets: Scherzer to the IL

I’m pretty sure no one expected when the Brewers traded Josh Hader that the rest of the bullpen would collapse.

Pitching (including the bullpen) had been Milwaukee’s strength over the first half of the season, but man, it’s been brutal since then.

Remember that radio host who claimed that Freddie Freeman’s agent never communicated the Braves’ final contract offer to him? And got sued by the agency for defamation?

He has admitted that the claim he made was false, based on faulty sources.

I thought this was interesting… But is Houstons field as “weak” for lack a better term as the article says?

Doug Gotleib is an idiot, and has always been an idiot. In college, he stole his roommate’s credit card and went on a spending spree at a local sporting goods store called Spiece. He got kicked out, and transferred. He hates when anyone brings it up - which I get, I mean that was 20 years ago. But I think he’s still that idiot kid who doesn’t think about what he says/does. And he doesn’t know a damn thing about baseball, just like everyone else in national sports media.

Stealing someone’s credit card isn’t typical college. Taking one of your roommate’s beers or a leftover slice of pizza, it happens.

Agree 100%. He played college basketball at Oklahoma State and thus considers himself an expert on college hoops. He was a decent guard for the Cowboys and led the nation in assists his senior year. But Big 12 fans remember him most for the fact that he started a game against the Kansas Jayhawks with his shorts on backwards.

According to online stats, the Minnesota Twins have the second-worst all-time record against the Yankees of all American League teams, ahead of only the Kansas City Royals. Since 2000, the Twins’ won-loss record against N.Y. is 46-105.

The Yankees should be praying for the chance to face the Twins again in the playoffs.

Always do, always do.

I can’t believe the Yanks lead is down to 5 over Tampa. This team looked like a rival for the 98 Yanks for 3 months and now looks more like the 78 Red Sox.

It’s definitely been an interesting stretch. They went from near certain locks for home field advantage to a realistic, if still low, chance of not even winning the division.

Aaron Judge has been amazing. He not only has the pressure of chasing the AL home run record, but he’s also saddled with carrying the entire offense. And he keeps just rocking on. It’s a great sports story and really fun to watch.

ETA: I was really tired last night but hung in to see Judge bat in the 7th inning. Boo, intentional walk. It’s good strategy, sometimes, but it really sucks for the fans.

ETA2: Somewhat interestingly, Barry Bonds was ‘only’ intentionally walked 35 times in his 73 home run season*. Three years later he was intentionally walked 120 times and still cranked out 45 dingers.

*Judge has 14 IBBs this year.

Not to mention playing for his big contract after turning down one that would have set him and his future kids and grandkids for life.

He seems to do pressure pretty well.

As of today, Albert Pujols has been a major league baseball player for over half of his life.