MLB: September

This idea makes me a bit ill, to be honest, and not just because of generic Yankee hate. The A-Rod controversy was one thing when the Yankees appeared to be out of the playoff hunt. But the idea of him playing through his appeal, winning a ring, and then being able to possibly retire on that note if he chose to while completely avoiding any responsibility for his nonsense just feels wrong in every way.

I have nothing against his teammates, generally, but if there was ever a year for me to root against the Yankess with all of my heart, this is it.

Reds taking care of business against the Cardinals. About to win 3 out of 4 after a marathon 16 inning loss last night…

But now we have to make hay against the Dodgers. I want a good showing against one of the two best NL teams. A REALLY good showing.

Tonight, the Red Sox crushed New York at Yankee Stadium for the second time in two days, scoring nine unanswered runs in two innings to overcome a five run deficit, beating the Yankees, 12-8. Boston has scored 41 runs in three games, including two grand slams, and Will Middlebrooks hit home runs in three consecutive games. September been bery, bery good to the Red Sox.

Well, the Giants still suck, but Yusmeiro Petit has a perfect game going through 8 innings tonight…

Four of five against good teams when it matters. Hmmm. Don’t know where to put this Reds team. On the cusp or pretending…

Gives up a single on 3-2 count with 2 outs in the 9th…

And gets the next batter on a ground ball to short.

Austin Jackson went 3-for-6 with 4 RBI and he wasn’t even the Tigers’ player of the game tonight.

Andy Dirks went 5-for-5 with 4 runs and an RBI tonight, and *he *wasn’t even the Tigers’ player of the game.

That honor would go to Omar Infante, who went 5-5, with 6 RBI and 2 runs.

Tigers whooped on the Royals by scoring 16 runs off of 26 hits, and not one of them was a homer.

Good night to be a Tigers fan.

Yeah I was hoping to see them get the record for singles in a game, then dropped my hopes to the NL record, the just the Tigers record. Still missed by one, but a Hell of a game nonetheless. :slight_smile:

More injuries for the Dodgers. Capuano with a groin strain. Ryu with a back strain. Kemp likely out for the season now with a hamstring injury. Hopefully the first two are minor or we have some serious pitching issues. It’s not like we can go with a three-man rotation, and neither Fife nor Volquez have the ability to start, IMO.

I still think we’ll take the division without much of a problem, but things are definitely more interesting now.

And Koji Uehara has completed a reliever’s perfect game - the last 27 batters to face him have all been out.

Not so fast. Ellsbury out indefinitely, may have navicular bone fracture

I told you guys to keep an eye on Billy Hamilton. Dude’s freaky fast.

He is a serious weapon. Will he be available for the post-season?

Looks like he will be due to an MLB rule that allows him to replace a player on the disabled list, in this case, RP Nick Massett.

Billy Hamilton has played in 4 major league games. He has never had a plate appearance or played in the field. His WPA (win probability added) for the year is 0.3. This puts him fifth among position players for the Reds.

The Reds honored Joe Morgan this weekend. As part of the festivities they had the “great 8” (the eight starting position players) from the Big Red Machine. When they were introduced the stadium announcer called them “the greatest starting lineup in major league history”. I certainly think they are one of the contenders for that title, but I also figure that they just decided to claim that without any real attempt to back it up statistically.

So, what team did have the greatest starting eight? The 1927 Yankees certainly had greater players in Ruth and Gehrig, but they also had weaker spots with Dugan and Koenig. I am not sure which lineup I would rather have overall. What other teams would be contenders for this title?

And of course, our beloved Pete Rose showed up in jeans and a t-shirt with a ballcap while everyone else took it seriously and dressed appropriately. Ah Pete. You’re such a douchebag.

And here I was thinking the “Great Eight” referred to four well-endowed women.

Maybe the Gas House Gang?

This is how painful it’s become to defend the guy: Pete Rose Furniture Commercial - MUST SEE - YouTube

The Bleacher Report (The 50 Best Offensive Teams in MLB History | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report) like the 27 Yankees and list the 76 Reds as the 15th best lineup. They seem to really like the teams from the 20s and 30s as 13 of the top 15 teams are from those decades.

I’d like to see a list of the top offenses adjusted to their run scoring environments.