MMMM.....Indian food :)

Shailmar, baby! You’re right there!

Bring us some, too, while you’re at it.

None of my friends are too much into Indian food, so I’ve only had it three times ever (all at the same place in Miami, Punjab Palace). I haven’t had it since moving to Orlando in December, although there are several Indian restaurants around and a few cool-looking grocery stores too. I could go for some samosas, naan with all those delicious chutnies, lassi, and something nice and spicy like the lamb curry I got last time (but something different this time). If there’s a buffet, all the better!

Where the heck do you live? I’m in Seattle and there are three very good Indian restaurants that deliver within range of my house. What kind of deprived person only has one option for garlic naan and spicy chicken korma?

I’m VERY tempted to go there tomorrow! :smiley:

Come down to Deerfield Beach! There’s a new place there, The Taj, and it’s outtasight!

No really - it’s very well hidden. Quite the obscure gem, though, and they do have a buffet on Sunday nights.

Used to be a wonderful Indian place right below my grandma’s, in NYC, called Gulshan. Two people could stuff themselves SILLY for about $25 - and that included a couple of beers! (Kingfisher - yum!)

I work in a very nice Indian Restaurant in SoCal. If you are ever around, stop on by! We do lamb korma Hyderabadi style and have Kearlan Catfish Curry that tastes just like it does in India. We have the tandoor ovens so the naan is absolutely heavenly. I never tried Indian food before I started working at my place which is unfortunate because now I am spoiled!

At least he’s got one. There are none around here for 120 miles. You’ve got three nearby, hmm? There’s another reason I like Seattle.
I have samosas in my freezer, but it’s just not the same.

Good stuff, but next time try a salted lassi. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do it is addictive, and it goes very well with any goat or beef dish. (Mango lassi is a relatively new, and AFAIK Western, innovation. I’ve had them once in a while but generally as a desert.)

Now, in Old Town (Pasadena) not only do we have 3 (4?) Indian restaurants, we also have Nepalese and Afgani, and more Thai and noodle houses than you can shake a chopstick at. And yet, people are still waiting 45 minutes, bunched up on the corner of Colorado and Fair Oaks, to get into the Cheesecake Factor. Why, Og, why?

Stranger

I’m usually not a huge fan of trying new foods, but trying (and loving) indian food helped change that. (not that I go out and eat different stuff all the time, but I’m much more willing to try now). If it weren’t for my friend in college, who was also a plain food kinda guy, I never would have given it a shot.

Its one of the few cuisines where I can eat just about anything - even stuff thats all vegetables! My personal fav dish is Malai Kofta, but I’ve had a fair number of indian dishes. One of them was a taste of chicken vindaloo. An ex of mine who was from the south THOUGHT she could handle it, so she ordered it. We both agreed that eating a red hot charcoal would be cooler.

The best part is the dessert - galub juman (or is it gulab jamun - one or the other).

There is an excellent indian restaurant in boston near the intersection of comm ave and mass ave called India Samraat (anyone been there?). Has, hands down, the best indian food I’ve ever tasted. Which, granted, wouldn’t mean too much - except that even indian food that I’ve had in Malaysia wasn’t quite as good as India Samraat.
A few of us went to get indian for lunch the other day. Fortunately we ordered too much and I brought some aloo paratha home.

Its in the fridge.

I think I’ll have some now :slight_smile:

I’m in a bit of the same situation; there’s a (purportedly) good Indian place just down the street from me at work, and I’ve eaten there three times. Each time, however, something hasn’t agreed with me, but my coworkers have been fine. (Yeah, I know, but I keep going back because it tasted good and I’m the only one with issssues.)

So I need to branch out and try a different place, because, boy is that stuff good. Mmmm, samosas. Why is it that when I have to work late, I only open up the food threads, then salivate? Hmm?

Without Indian food the British would starve to death.

Think there was no good from colonialism? Think again!

When the Indians and Pakistanis (and Chinese) started coming over to the UK to rebuild the country post-WWII, they were heartbroken by the bland food on offer. Their solution was to set up restaurants without which we could now barely survive.

I should know - I live in Glasgow - one of the curry capitals of the UK (and by implication the world).

Ironically, it is often said that the world’s best curries are found in the UK - better than anywhere in India.

The reason is to do with the availability of fresh ingredients as well as the proliferation of great chefs.

I suspect that the US and Canada have “lagged behind” due to the availability of diverse styles of cooking from various communities.

The UK benefited from having boring food that our immigrant populations wanted to add to.

Hmmmmmmmm, curry! :stuck_out_tongue:

:dubious: grumble, grumble, I’ll give it to you. :smiley:

Yes, that’s true. Indians don’t actually make that much curry.

Now I’m hungry for a masala dosa! Earlier this week we had tandoori chicken and I made chapatis/puris to go with it. I’m pleased that they turned out to be fairly authentic, but perhaps that’s because I was using chapati flour that I got from the grocery store’s Indian food section. :wink: I also let the dough “sit” for a bit before I started rolling it out. I had tried using white flour and wheat flour before and they just didn’t taste right - this time they tasted -just right-. The only thing is when I make them, everyone gobbles them down! And they’re a bit labor-intensive to make. :stuck_out_tongue: I may make some dal this weekend; I’ve got the ingredients. :slight_smile: Then I will have to make more chapatis to go with it.

Damn you right to hell. Now my tummy’s growling.

Closest Indian restaurant to me is about 30 miles away. So I guess there are two things I miss about living in NJ–having someone else pump the gas, and many Indian restaurants (and groceries, damnit!) nearby.

Ha.

I live in New Jersey and we have three Indian buffets within a twenty minute drive.

Who needs breathable air or decent cities when you can get lots of great food? :smiley:

We have Indian food on average once a week. My son who has just turned 16 I’m sure would eat it every day if he could and sometimes does. He can knock back a vindaloo without even raising a sweat. I’ve been eating Indian food for 30 years and I still can’t handle vindaloo.

Working as a server in a Hotel, I was lucky enough to be able to enjoy real Indian food as my first experience. There was an Indian social club or association that had a function in one of our Banquet rooms and the food was catered by the members… Mothers and Grandmas and Aunts. We lucky few were able to swoop down on the leftover delicacies! I have no idea of the name of the foods I ate, but then again, the experience transcended language. The spices quixotic…sublime and expert points and counterpoints. New flavors never experienced–I almost wish I’d never tried it. Spoiled me.

We sure do have good Indian food here. My current favorite is in Bloomington, at 98th St and 35W. I usually take it as a good sign when the place is full, and only 2 tables are taken up by people of European ancestry.

Kind of funny Indian food story:
Last year 6 of us went to Iceland for New Year’s eve. Fun trip, but the food was just enough different from home to lead to cravings of comfort food. One evening we discovered that Reykjavik has an Indian restaurant. We happily walked over for a “comfort food” dinner. Naan makes everything better.

It’s lunchtime, and I’m going to get me some mutton biryani. Just thought ya’ll would want to know that.