Mnemonic devices you remember, except you forgot the thing they're supposed to help you remember

We used to have a lot of mnemonics to remember groups in the periodic table when I was in school.

But the mnemonics were in Urdu. While I still remember some of the mnemonics, I can’t remember what elements they are supposed to remind me of.

Example برما کا سربرا is the “President [Leader] of Burma” and is romanized more or less as as “Beh-Ma-Ka-Sur-Bur-Ra”

It’s supposed to remind you of the Group II elements. They are Beryllium, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium, Barium and Radium. But I had to look them up now. I couldn’t remember them 38 years after my last Chemistry class.

I prefer the “under protest” version of the mnemonic, because, if you’ve spent any amount of time in downtown Seattle, you will know all too well that no loving God had any willing part in creating that place. :slight_smile:

The Quick Brown Fox :fox_face: Jumped Over The Lazy Dog :dog2:

I’m guessing that’s the shortest sentence that uses all 26 letters that’s also grammatically correct?

“Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow!” is shorter and also a thousand times more metal.

Mine is similar: Kings play chess on Fridays, generally speaking.

mmm

Take your pick between these roll-off-the-tongue blood clotting factor cascade mnemonics: “Fit Pants, Tight Collars, Loose American Shirts Are Cool Says Pretty Heroine Farah”, “Foolish People Try Climbing Long Slopes After Christmas, Some People Have Fallen” or “Freshman Party Tonight Come Lets Sing And Call Seniors. Please Have Fun.”

Only needed for taking tests, never clinically.

I remember a mnemonic and also its meaning, but it has become rather useless since Pluto was demoted to a dwarf planet:

Mein Vater erklärt mir jeden Sonntag unsere neun Planeten.
(Every Sunday, my father explains our nine planets to me)

How about its companion mnemonic, “Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Bad Boys Marry Money.”?

But most guitars have 5 strings?

Seriously, though – do you need a mnemonic to remember 6 strings? I just know it as EADGBE and I’m not even a real guitarist!

Better two cats than a dog with fleas…

Ah … I see that there should be a bolded and capitalized B in “GoodBye”. But, still … it’s just six strings. And the first and last are the same.

Your sentence has no “s” in it. I learned the sentence as “The quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown dog” in my typing class many ages ago.

Maybe I’m on the slow side, but yes. :blush:

I’ve played long enough where I don’t now need it, but it still runs through my head often.

Seriously, though – do you need a mnemonic to remember 6 strings?

Oops! Good catch. I knew something didn’t look right about that. Yes, I forgot to BOLD the B.

The answer is YES, I do. I have ADD. Anything with more than three steps must be written down.

Uhh…Where was I going with this?

I remember treble clef music, Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge is the lines of a bar of music, and FACE are the spaces. But, if you were to put sheet music in front of me, I’d just stare at it blankly.

Yes, and I don’t have ADD. But when I tune my guitar, I always recite “Eat Apples Daily, Guitar Becomes Easy.”

So sue me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, that’s a new one for me, I only knew it as the title of a Mudhoney album.

My guitar teacher taught me a mnemonic, only in the reverse order (high to low): Elvis Buys Guitars Down At Ed’s.

Was he from Australia? Hehe. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Or (slightly altered) the title of a Moody Blues album.