Moments that ruin suspension of disbelief *spoilers!*

I’m not talking about bad movies where suspension of disbelief never kicks in in the first place, I mean scenes in otherwise good movies where through a lack of effort, knowledge, or a genuine mistake on the producers part something happens that takes you right out of the movie.

First example for me is the scene in Charlie Wilsons War where stock-footage is shown of alleged Soviet helicopters being shot down by American missiles over Afghanistan…except about half of the footage shown depicts NATO aircraft!

Second is in the decent BBC made for TV adaptation of Archangel by Robert Harris, at one point the character of Stalin’s son is shown carrying away a fox he has captured and killed while hunting…except the fox is so obviously merely a fake stuffed toy animal that I genuinely laughed out loud watching it…

The one I always mention is near the beginning of the second Indiana Jone picture – Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I can buy a lot in the Indy pictures, but when you show me three people jumping out of a falling plane in a life raft, surviving that without injury, then falling off a cliff into a river, also without injury, my Willing Suspension of Disbelief is as broken and splintered as their spines should be.
DON’T start the picture off with such an assault on WSoD, because it’s awfully hard to win back.

More in line with the OP’s ideas, I suspect, are all those early James Bond films where they tried to pass off launches of well-known capsules and rockets (like the Gemini Titan) as some other craft 9as they did in You Only Live Twice, Diamonds are Forever, and others. It wasn’t until special effects got better when they released Moonraker (which showed a shuttle launch before we’d actually launched a space shuttle) that they got away from this.

Shadows from booms and even microphones hanging into the frame.
Should. Not. Happen.

I saw one the other day in Hannah and Her Sisters.

Does poor editing count? I’ve been rambling about this before, but I just can’t get over that bizarre jump cut in Alien, in the scene where Ripley and the crew is talking to Ash’s decapitated head on the table. It cuts from a fake head to the real head in a way that is so clunky that the clunk is about as loud and distracting as a piano being dropped from the ceiling of the movie theater. It’s the kind of thing you learn not to do in the first lesson on your first day of editing school. The strangest part is that it would have been *so *easy to fix, by editing the scene just slightly differently. Either it was left in on purpose, which is just weird, or it’s a mammoth-sized mistake in what is otherwise a razor-sharp movie.

How about the entire move Red? Bruce Willis singlehandedly disposes of the hit squad sent to his house, and about nine million rounds are shot through the house in a residential area. Somehow if there are government hit teams, I should think they are more competent and are able to pull off the hit without waking up the whole neighborhood. They they are on the lam from the government agents, but are perfectly able to fly all around the country. Nobody has the pull to put them on the no-fly list?

Hey, don’t rank on my favorite movie! That was the movie that introduced me to Indian food. Just the other day I went to an Indian restaurant and got live baby snakes and eyeball soup.

Any movie where the gentleman lead leaves his watch on during sex. This seems to be showing up with more frequency lately.

My favorite breaking of SOD is in “Smokey and the Bandit”. Just after Jerry Reed’s character is beaten up by a bunch of bikers, he crawls into the cab of his truck, grins, and drives right over the parked bikes. BUT, when he flashes the grin, he reveals a set of manicured, Hollywood-perfect, straight, gleaming white teeth, completely out of character for an alcoholic trucker. Breaks the moment instantly.

Any movie where the woman leaves her bra on during sex.

How else is he supposed to keep stats on his time to bring his partner to climax?

Smartphone under the pillow.

There’s an app for that.

Any movie/show wherein a character walks into a bar and orders ‘a beer, please’ and is promptly served one with no silly questions about which** beer. I know product placement is a tricky issue, but I just can’t ignore how weird that is.
Also, when characters encountering severe danger take the time to yell ‘Run for it!’ to their companions. When something as obviously threatening as a giant lizard monster or a murderous robot is giving chase, no one would ever actually say** ‘run for it’. You just run.

This except in Saving Private Ryan and during Matt Damon’s “brother’s” speech

Did they fly anywhere (especially commercially)? I thought they drove from location to location.

But, yeah, the big opening sequence had me thinking “No one in the neighborhood is dialing 911?”

Any movie where two people are in the front seat of a car and one is driving while they have a conversation. Inevitably, the driver will repeatedly take his/her eyes off the road to look at the passenger for longer than is possible or believable if they’re really driving. I understand that their car is really just being towed by a PA or something, but it’s immediately obvious that they’re not really driving. It drives me crazy. Whatever they’re talking about, however tense or climactic the dialogue is, all I can think about is “watch the f*cking road, you idiot!”, and I’m out of the scene.

Shrug- I’ve actually asked bartenders about this(one at a higher-end private club and the other a more regular bar) . If they are busy, the bartender just gives you the most expensive one they serve. If you clearly don’t care what kind, the Bartender doesn’t give a ****.

That bugs me too. And in Clerks, where people come in and ask for “a pack of cigarettes.”

Telephone numbers that start with 555.

Watched Logan’s Run for the first time last night. I could deal with most of the over-the-top scenery and plot, but every time a Sandman shot one of those ridiculous flare guns it took me right out of the movie. The effect was just way too lame, even for a 70s flick.

I had a friend that used to work in a convenience store and he said that was pretty true to life as the clerk would get to know the regular’s preferred brand pretty quick. So “a pack of cigarettes” was all that was needed.

Most car chase scenes involving cops. First, despite the sirens blaring, no one but no one pulls over. Second, when the person being chased goes by, clipping cars and causing crashes, when the cops follow still no one has stopped. Third, when the cops go back to the station house, after causing untold civilian damage, there are no implications, no paper work, and no suspensions.

Only exception: the Dan Ackroyd Dragnet, where he keeps on getting worse police cars as he destroys them.