More calcium in chicken then in egg

I have heard that if you measure that amount of calcium in an egg and the amount of calcium in the chicken that hatches, that the chicken will have more calcium. Where does the extra calcium come from? Since calcium is an element, it had to be converted from another element inside the egg. This usaully takes lots of energy or cold fusion. The same thing is true of a seed and it’s sprout. If you put a seed in distilled water, the sprout will have more calcium than the seed. Where did the calcium come from. I heard the process was called transmortification or something, and that scientists don’t have an answer and dimissed the question as alchemy.
Just curious.

www.cyberthings.com

I would think that the chicken’s diet has a certain amount of calcium in it. You know…the human body sets certain elements aside, to protect us. Perhaps the chicken’s body stores calcium in one area, so that while you may eat a chicken, and get X calcium, the actual amount of stored calcium in the chicken’s body is greater, but is stored in one place, awaiting the need to be expended solely in the creation of an egg.
I can’t believe I thought this out. I need a life. Any suggestions?? :slight_smile:
Typer

First of all, you have two totally different systems here: the egg/chick situation is a closed system, whereas the seed/sprout situation is an open system.

The seed problem is easy. While the plant stores most of the nutrients needed in the seed, extra nutrients are absorbed with water from the soil.

The egg problem requires more specifics: is the calcium measured for just the yolk & white, or does it include the shell as well? If the measurement doesn’t include the shell, then I will point out that the embryo probably leeches calcium from the shell during the later stages of growth, thus not only getting the required amount of calcium, but also weakening the shell in preperation of hatching.

If the measurement includes the shell – you got me, coach.

make that:

is the calcium measured in just the yolk & white

Calcium IS absorbed from the shell,it’s one of those neat things.Right towards the end,when the chick is going to need some bone and beak to bust out ,the absoption rate increases,and ‘coincedently’ the shell gets weaker then, not earlier when the protection is more important. If you mean the entire egg, Foxy,then I can only say; the shell with it, the yolks on me.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

I think the total amount of calcium including the shell is greater in the new chick than in the egg, and the sprout can’t leach calcium from the soil becuase it is sprouted in distilled water which doesn’t have calcium and the air doesn’t have calcium

cite your source, jim. anybody? i won’t say it ain’t so,cause i don’t know. But I’m gonna let some body else try a bottle before i buy any of that elixer.Somethins wrong with my dictionaries i can’t find transmorGRifigation or…morgifi… i got a pile of lead in the back .

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

Heck, mr john, I’ll jump right in and say it ain’t so. For one thing, ‘transmortification’ (which, if taken literally, would seem to mean “beyond extreme embarassment”) is not a word I’d expect to find in the dictionary. Maybe ‘transmutation’, or more likely for this topic, ‘transmogrification’. I’d really like to see a citation or three before I start believing baby chicks just happen to have biochemistries that change one element to another (reminds me of Asimov’s wonderful story about the goose that laid the golden eggs). Sounds like somebody’s having their legs pulled.

“He tried to kill me with a forklift…” – MST3K

I found the term for the process transmutations, where an element can transmute to a higher element at least one book has been written about it, but it all very controversial.

one interesting link is: http://kalex.engin.umich.edu/mcelwaine/3rd-coming/biological-alchemy

He tells how to do the seed experiment, though not very well

There is a book
“BIOLOGICAL TRANSMUTATIONS, And Their Applications In CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, BIOLOGY, ECOLOGY, MEDICINE, NUTRITION, AGRIGULTURE, GEOLOGY”, 1st Edition, by C. Louis Kervran, Active Member of New York Academy of Science, 1972, 163 Pages, Illustrated, Beakman Publishing and Swan House Publishing Co.,P.O. Box 638, Binghamton, NY 13902

All though he won an MIT prize in the Journal of Irreproducible Results and won an Ig Nobel
Prizes honor “achievements that cannot or should not be reproduced.”

I am doing more research on this

www.cyberthings.com

Hoo, boy! McElwaine, huh? That makes things much clearer.
See this for starts.
You may also find this FAQ to be of interest.
In other words… dude be WACK.

“He tried to kill me with a forklift…” – MST3K

Well the only source I found so far was McElwaine, but I have heard that the phenomina has been original noticed in the 1700’s about more calcium in the sprout than in the seed. It seems easy enough to reproduce, if you have the equipment for measuring the amount of calcium. Anybodu know how you would do that?. It would be interesting if the amount of calcium were substaintially different. Somehow I don’t doubt it.

www.cyberthings.com

Transmongrelification is the result of shipping different breeds of chicken into an area and allowing them to mingle with native chickens, thus producing such oddities as the Rhode Island Leghorn. The question is: which came first, the sprout in distilled water or the chicken that crossed the road?

Why did the hippy cross the road?
Because he was stoned on LSD and thought he was a chicken.