More evil: Glinda the Good Witch, or Lex Luthor?

First off, which version of Luthor are we talking about? (Current) comics continuity? Richard Donner movies? DCAU? (Strictly speaking, I could ask the same about Glinda—1939 movie? Books? “Wicked”? One of the other spinoffs or adaptations that no one ever remembers?—but in think the '39 Glinda is the one we’d all be thinking about.)

Second—is there a set definition of “evil” we’re working with, or is it the whole point to decide that ourselves? I mean, like if I send a unprepared young farmgirl off on a mission that could likely lead to her torment and death, because I’m convinced that I’m on the Side of Right™ and some small sacrifices must be made, is that more or less evil than blowing up a skyscraper full of hostages to cover up robbing the company vault, just because I wanted the money?

I need you to rephrase all this in the form of a series of wisecracks.

That said, we are obviously NOT talking about Glinda from the Wiz. She can’t be evil because (a) she’s played by Lena Horne, and (b) she’s played by Lena Goddamn Horne. So tread lightly.

Glinda in the first book is a very minor character. Her role is basically that of MacGuffin: “You came all the way out here to ask me THAT? You could have just sent a Munchkin carrying a letter, and avoided causing all that damage in Porcelain-Land on the way. Oh very well, here’s your answer.”

In the movie, the ending shows her to be one nasty bitch.

You mean, like the WWotW is Dorothy’s Jungian Shadow, the Wizard is her Superego, and Glinda is her Higher Self? With the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion being further aspects of herself? Oops I’m mixing Freudian and Jungian archetypes, aren’t I?

Of course in the novels, Oz is a real place-which still leaves open the possibility of Dorothy choosing to visit an alternate reality which still reflects her psyche.

Maybe he means this post by Captain Amazing – the single greatest CS post ever.

*China-*Land.

Parker F’in Posey. Nuff’ said.

I’m going to need you to take that back. Parker Posey is too pretty to be pernicious.

I think you misunderstand that pernicious usually comes in pretty poses. And Dr. Pepper comes in a bottle.

The “conniving Glinda” scenario is based on the movie’s portrayal of Glinda. In the book Glinda isn’t even involved in most of the action–another Witch pops up at the beginning & gives Dorothy the bad info; Glinda is only met at the end.

So we have to say that Glinda’s reputation has suffered due to lame Hollywood screenwriting.

Well, in all fairness, they had been in the storm celler a long time, and it had been a while since lunch.