More racism directed at Obama

If I was the reporter I would ask why the food and why these particular foods. That should make a more interesting and awkward response than " I wasn’t being racist".

If I’m channel surfing and I happen upon a redneck with no teeth talking about how the tornado sounded just like a freight train, I immediately dread the inevitable revelation that the person is from Indiana.

You’d think I would more often, considering the KKK was originally founded in my homestate and I work only one county over from the site of the Scopes Trial, but no, not really.

Not to mention you can’t buy a damn thing with those “bucks”.

Well, the food is because they weren’t “Obama bucks”, they were parodies of food stamps.

What the fuck is wrong with me? I actually believe the lady and think that her apology was sincere. I’ve definitely got to have my bullshit detector adjusted. I do however reserve the right to change my mind after I get home and watch the video.

Do food stamps have pictures of food on them?

Oy, these people.

The EBT card from New Mexico has fresh green and red chiles on it, but I don’t think that counts.

Oh, honey, all the time.

Yes you do need to have it adjusted.

I’m black. I’m in the army, which you can understand, can make me aggressive at times. But I don’t like violence or the use of force. I cannot stand racists of any form, black, white, yellow whatever. They make me sick. I m not a saint. I have preconcieved notions about people that may be based on religion, color and sex. but I honestly strive to shove it into a corner and not worry about it,. I’ve worked in a multinational, multicultural environment for so long I think I can say I’ve been successful. I have a lot of true friends from many countirs and cultures. Keep in mind my wife odf 15 years is not black.

Still, watching these people deny the fact that its a stereotype and an insult? I would have wanted to punch him in the face right there. Nothing they said was sincere. I would have more respect (but not liked them or anything) if they admitted their own racism. They’re scum, pure and simple. They’ll claim to be tolerant when a camera is on them, but we’ve seen the true colors. They deserve ebery bit of derision and disdain they get.

Sounds like I need to see that video.

I’d be interested in what you have to say about it. Even if you agreed with the people in it, you see, I’d respect it if you owned up to it. (I’m not saying you would or wouldn’t)

If you call me “nigger” to my face i may notr like it…I might hit you…but I’ll at least be able to say you had the nuts to say it up front.

Do it behind my back or try to disguise it as “Its not racist”…well, you get the hit and and maybe a few more for being a coward.

I think we’re well aware of why there were pictures of food. The question was, why those particular (ie stereotypical “black”) foods.

I’m leaning towards the lying racist explanation, but I can understand if this particular lady is plainly ignorant, even if the original creator of the “buck” certainly was racist. I, myself, only recently even heard of the whole watermelon/fried chicken black stereotype thing, and I still don’t have any clue about it other than it exists. This happened in California, which simply doesn’t have a large black population (percentage-wise, it’s only about 6%).

Hey, the way I look at it, anyone (and now that it’s a national story, that’s a heck of a lot of anyones) who sees that video will conclude that if they’re not lying racists, they’re complete and total braindead morons. I’m fairly satisfied with that.

You know, back in the '90s here in Canada the Reform party released a bunch of ads featuring then PM Jean Chrétien speaking. He has a facial palsy. The ads were quite awful - essentially saying ‘Hey - he looks like a freak and is disabled - do you really want him as your PM?’

They really, really pale in comparison to this. I’m embarrassed for this woman and her family that they’re too stupid to disguise their racism and bigotry.

Let me make it perfectly clear that I base my opinion purely on a few sentences on a website, words spoken by someone I have never met. I am no racist.

I took a good look at the “obama buck”.

I’m in Canada, and I’ve heard fried chicken and watermelon associated with blacks. And Collard greens. Never ribs or koolaid. Is Kentucky Fried Chicken a black stereotype ? Doesn’t everyone eat KFC? The watermelon is pretty jarring though, but everyone likes watermelon. I’m suspicious if only for the watermelon.

I’m also not entirely convinced of her explanation that this was only something she forwarded and not made up herself. I can certainly believe that if one can bald faced lie about whether or not images used are representative of stereotypes, then saying that the whole thing didn’t originate with them wouldn’t be that big of a leap either.