More 'Southernisms'

I recall “kwitcherbitchin’.”

Then of course there’s the “up and…” construction, to indicate something happening suddenly or unexpectedly:

He up and died.
They up and ran off together.

Being a loudmouth or a braggart entails “shooting off at the mouth.”
“I saw him down at store, shootin’ off at the mouth as usual.”

This one always gets me. It is not unusual for a perfect stranger to stop you if you are out with your infant and tell you to put a hat on that youngen’s head before he gets “the pneumonia.”

It’s not limited to diseases–you can purchase a hat for that youngen’s head at “the Wal-Mart.”

I heard it as “Two dogs fightin’ in a sack.” And I’m from down your way, sure enough.

My Grandaddy, when he’s feeling down, is “In low cotton.” He is also fond of telling me to, “Shut-up talkin’ and listen to me.”

Missed the edit window, sorry.

Oh, and on light bread - no ma’am. :wink: My old aunt liked her some dark bread, which is basically wheat bread. Corn bread is something else entirely.

Come to think of it, throwing the pronoun plus the word some in after “liked” is a Southern thing. She liked her some corn bread. He liked him some cat fish. They liked them some fried chicken.

Stoves have eyes. This causes my husband to just stare at me, but it’s a Southernism that I can’t shake.

“Don’t be ugly.” or just shortened to “ugly!” when I’m being mean about a family member or someone else. I don’t get along with my daddy (there’s another Southernism, I’m 40 years old and hate the man, and he’s still Daddy) and when I say something mean, I get “ugly!”.

Miss or Mr Firstname, which is something my son still does - in another country, where it’s not the custom at all, and he’s my son and has never lived in the South, so that will show you how ingrained it is in me. It occurs to me as I type this that I’m old now, as the last person I called Miss Firstname died five years ago.
(And my kingdom for 5lbs of Martha White Self Rising, please. I don’t miss the South but I do miss corn bread…)

Oh, I forgot about that. While I didn’t live there long enough to adopt it myself, I always appreciate(d) hearing it.

Never mind.

That’s not a Southernism, that’s the name of the school.

As a born and raised Michigander I find this thread interesting and hilarious. Southernisms are a lot of fun. Though some of these expressions I’ve used all my life. ‘‘Don’t trust him farther than I could throw him’’ is pretty common. I wonder if it’s an expression that migrated.

For some reason this seems really common in South Jersey/Philadelphia. Not just for teachers but for anyone in a position of authority or to whom you would want to show respect. When I was an intern at a partial hospital for mentally ill parents and their children I was referred to this way by patients, as were my superiors.

Actually had a classmate turn in a process recording (a kind of social work assignment) in which she called one of the caretakers at a group home Miss Mary in accordance with what everyone else called her. The teacher reamed her out and went on and on about how it was really racist and sounded like she (the student) was a slave master or something. :confused: It was like the professor was completely oblivious to this regional custom, which appears to have nothing to do with race. I have to assume there was some kind of cultural disconnect.

Goldang! This thread is as cute as boots on a rooster.

Another fun Southern grammatical construct is “like(d) to (have)” meaning “almost” or “just about”:

I like to’ve died when Billy walked in wearing that purple tuxedo.

I lost my car keys and I like to never found 'em.

I liked to have got run over this morning up at the Piggly Wiggly.

How about “give out” for being exhausted? “I’ve been out working in the yard, and now I’m give out!”

“Give out.” That’s a good one.

A couple more occurred to me:

Rough as a cob. Said of someone who is unrefined, and maybe a little dangerous.

“Jim Cooper’s in jail again? I swear, that boy is rough as a cob!”

Can’t carry a tune in a bucket.

“That Cecelia loves to sing but bless her heart, she can’t carry a tune in a bucket.”

He’s tighter than the skin on bologna.
he’s so tight it’d take a tractor to pull a needle out of his ass.

I’m so happy I gotta sit on my hands to keep from clapping
You can’t swing a dead cat with out hitting someone who <insert item here>. i.e. you can’t swing a dead cat around here without hitting someone who slept with Earl’s sister.

when you look rough there’s the old standby of looking like “you’ve been rode hard and put away wet.” The other I hear once in a while is “you look like you’ve been pulled through a knothole backwards!”

I used to live a couple of doors down from a guy who was from someplace in the Deep South - I forget where, exactly, but I think it was northeast Louisiana. He would use a half dozen prepositions in every sentence. Sometimes, in a row.

He was famous as “the creepy waiter from Steak and Shake” - as in, everyone at Major State University had seen him sit down next to a male diner and put his hand on the guy’s knee while taking his order at least once - but also a rather remarkable fount of knowledge about the works of Carl Jung.

Anyway, we used to seek him out for advice when heavily intoxicated, and he would regale us with the great psychologist’s view of whatever was vexing us. His explanations were generally thought provoking, but invariably hilarious.

So, we petitioned the campus radio station to give him a show. Down Up On The Porch With [Creepy Guy], it was going to be called, since objects, to him, where never simply located in or on things. They were always down up on things.

To Labrador Deceiver-
I know it’s the school’s name. It probably wasn’t named that by a Yankee-
It was just an illustration I used to explain what I meant.

When a race or election is close it’s “tighter than a tick on a hound.” When someone is extremely pissed off and about to confront the person that pissed them off “She’s loaded for bear and he best avoid her.” And my favorite, when someone’s looking a bit rough “He looks like hell hit and froze.”

Speaking of ticks, there’s “I’m full as a tick.”

I just don’t understand what you mean. Are you suggesting that the word “of” only appears in the names of Southern schools? Aren’t there countless schools in other parts of the country with “of” in the title?

Off the top of my head, there’s the University of Washington, …of Miami, …of California-Various, …Arizona, …Kansas, …Missouri, …Michigan, …Indiana, …Notre Dame, and the State University of New York-Various.