Moses Farrow defends Woody Allen

I was informed this isn’t a Pit thread but a Great Debates Thread so one more move. Please treat this as a Great Debates thread from this point on. Debate the posts and not the posters.

Keep personal remarks out of this thread. Do not attack other posters.

“Even the Mormons” is hardly an appropriate response to the note. Again, keep these swipes out of this thread.

Warning for TriPolar: A parting swipe at an entire religion in response to a modnote. That is two infractions in one. Stop it now.

This thread is a train wreck and neither side is going to sway the other. For the record, I don’t know and neither do any of you. I will close it.

Upon discussion and on request in the ATMB thread, I’m reopening this.

Please remain civil. Please remember to debate the post and not the poster.

“Weird” and “Wrong” are not even on the same scale, though. Things can be wrong but quite normal - cheating on your spouse is normal, as evidenced by the fact so many people do it, but it’s extremely immoral.

The Allen/Previn marriage is weird, but I don’t see how it’s wrong. An actual police investigation concluded they started sleeping together when Previn was 21 years old. She was a grown woman allowed to make her own decisions. They’ve now been married 23 years so it’s working for them.

Of course it’s possible that the relationship was unhealthy when it started, or is unhealthy now… I don’t know, though, because I don’t know these people.

I don’t completely agree with that. Sure , she doesn’t legally need an excuse for a consensual relationship she had as an adult. But, so far as I can tell (and remember) Woody and Mia were still a couple as far as Mia knew when she found the photos.

Either there was a power differential that deprived her of agency ( which Previn and Allen both say isn’t the case) or she freely decided to get involved with her mother’s boyfriend and her siblings father. Which isn’t incest and isn’t illegal - but that doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong. and it’s just as wrong for her as it is for him ( who decided to get involved with his girlfriends daughter and his children’s sibling).People seem to think this is a very black and white choice- either it’s incest or there’s nothing wrong. Sorry, if my sister starts sleeping with my husband, that’s wrong even though it isn’t incest and even though it might be a healthy relationship. It’s wrong because they both betrayed me.

Some things might be wrong that are nobody else’s business.

Were I friends with your sister in that case, I might consider it poor judgment, but I wouldn’t publicly condemn her or call for any punishment, even in a social or informal level. I certainly wouldn’t make it part of a public debate. It’s just one of those things that happens in life. People cheat and get cheated on. Meh, that’s life. And it’s a private matter.

Allen has said that Farrow never slept with him after their son was born (her decision). He only maintained a non-sexual relationship with her because of the children. They never married, and never lived in the same home at any time.

So weird, yes. Legal, yes. Moral, ???

But if we’re going to start making moral judgments about celebrity relationships, there are plenty to choose from. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m more concerned that the entire public focus is on Woody rather than on Mia. Two of her children have said publicly that she engaged in a long pattern of abuse of them when they were young. Both have made accusations that the suicides of at least one and maybe two of their siblings were attributable to her abuse. Both of them and Woody have called her crazy and laid out in detail her behaviors.

The reason why she is sheltered from the blame appears to be that she took the pre-emptive revenge step of accusing Woody falsely of abusing Dylan. That’s despicable if true.

Moses seems to be saying that if we can absolve Woody of the false allegation of abuse, then the world can step back and see the true abuser and the true victims and maybe they can start to heal. That’s so powerful that closely examining the stories he and Soon-Yi have told in mandatory for anybody with an open mind.

Note all the qualifiers I put in. I don’t know the truth any more than anyone else outside the family. But since absolute knowledge hasn’t stopped any of the public comment, rethinking it with fresh info is the best we can do.

Please don’t mix this with Woody’s relationship with Soon-Yi. That’s separate from child abuse.

The Child Sexual Abuse Clinic of Yale New Haven Hospital conducted a thorough six month investigation with multiple interviews with everyone involved. Their report concluded that Dylan had been coached, and stated: “It is our expert opinion that Dylan was not sexually abused by Mr. Allen.”

Not ‘we are uncertain’, or ‘there isn’t sufficient evidence to prosecute’, but a clear and definite statement by reputable professionals that the allegation was false.

That is implicitly a damning accusation against Farrow.

Also, Farrow called Soon-Yi ‘retarded’, when she is obviously not. The ‘train set in the attic story’ has been discredited - there was no usable attic and no train set. Moses’ statement about this has not been challenged as far as I know.

So, yes, the focus should definitely be on Farrow.

This is pretty powerful to me. And convincing. I saw Mia on Skip Gate’s “Finding Your Roots” genealology show, and she came off as weirdly emotional. Most people get emotional on that show. They find out very personal things. But Mia’s affect was very over the top and theatrical and off-putting.

Not being a pedophile is not the bar for being a good person or parent. And one person being a lying nutcase does not make another person some kind of hero. This is real life and sometimes there are only villains. This was not a private matter between Woody and Soon-Yi either, it was a family matter and they both engaged in a serious betrayal of the family relationship to everyone else involved. Whether or not he was still having sex with Mia Farrow is absolutely irrelevant, Anybody who thinks this kind of thing is ok should go explain to their own family right now how they would be ok with that kind of behavior.

Ok, how about you rant to your family about how this is totally not ok. Tell them how you don’t care how many kids Aunt June adopts, you ain’t marrying any of them.

Could you point out where any poster is saying any of this OK?

It’s right in the OP.

Vindication means he didn’t do the truly horrendous thing he was accused of (molesting his wife’s daughter). It doesn’t mean all of Allen’s life choices are fantastic or should be emulated.