Moses Farrow defends Woody Allen

In this case it doesn’t even mean vindication, and definitely doesn’t mean a complete vindication. There is no new factual evidence about this matter. I never thought there was credible evidence that he was a pedophile but there is irrefutable evidence this man is not constrained by normal standards. How plainly do I have to state that the man was fucking the sibling of his biological and adopted children who was also the daughter of the woman he claimed was his life partner and mother of his children.

Modnote: @TriPolar
Ok, you keep making this personal. I am instruction you to stay out of this thread for now on.

If you return to it I’ll have to give you a warning.

Everyone else, please don’t bother responding to TriPolar. He will not be able to respond.

I am not for an instant defending Woody Allen’s treatment of Mia Farrow, in part because I know nothing about it. He may have been the shittiest boyfriend. She may have been a shitty girlfriend. That is, however, independent from the possibility he might have been a fine boyfriend and husband, or a dreadful one, to Soon-Yi Previn. Weird and wrong aren’t on the same scale.

Yeah, there are things that will make me hate a celebrity, like child molestation, or sexual harassment, or abusing employees. Cheating on es partner … I don’t really care. Cheating and being cheated in are part of the run-of-the-mill experiences of life. I won’t base my opinions on something so mundane.

I like his films and will continue to pay to see them. Sue me.

I’m in a bind. Allen isn’t a child molester, and Farrow coached Dylan. That’s pretty clear now.

But I do think his films are shit, and would prefer actors I like did other work with their limited time. So haven’t exactly had a problem with many people no longer working with him.

It’s a bit of a moral dilemma, I can tell you.

Woody Allen just turned 85. This dilemma is imminently self-limiting.

You are right; I was too quick to close the thread. I did not realize that there was actual information that could be added. I still think though that most people have made up their minds and will not be moved.

As you say, the question of Allen and Soon-Yi is a different one. Although taking up with your girl-friend’s daughter does not smell good it is not immoral and certainly not illegal. I have friends who have been married for 63 years who were step-brother and step-sister. She was raised by her father and he by his mother while his father and her mother were married to each other. For another example, after my father died, my mother married my father’s brother whose wife had also died around the same time. Are these cases incest?

I know a pair of identical male twins who married a pair of identical female twins (well, they each married one). Apparently they met and started dating while the pairs of twins were separated for college and didn’t find out about it until later.

Cool!

That would be doubly (quadruply?) interesting if both sets ended up married to the one that they hadn’t started out dating.

It is more than cheating. As a rich director Allen could have slept with almost anyone he wanted. He chose to have an affair with Previn, and he had to have known that it would destroy Farrow’s family.

One thing that comes through in much of Allen’s writing is his seeming powerlessness to resist any romantic temptation. If he sees a high school girl he wants to date, he dates her, if he is attracted to his kids step sister he has a relationship with her. One thing that seems odd given their ages is that Soon Yi was the more calculated one. She resented Mia and had an attachment disorder. She got revenge on Mia by seducing her boyfriend. Allen was just like a wild animal being tossed some meat, he never thought about the morality or the impact on his family, just what he wanted.

Very odd people who are suffering the consequences of their wrongdoings.

It’s still just personal drama. Personal drama is life. It may be an indication that I wouldn’t want him in my personal life, but beyond that I don’t care. People are allowed to make very bad decisions in their personal lives. Their apparently long and stable marriage is the final word.

Agree overall with your POV.

Said another way, those two loons being connected to each other has saved two (at least two) normal people from lots of problems over the last two decades. :wink:

People don’t choose to have affairs with people in that calculating sort of way. It’s not like they decide “hmm, I think I’ll have an affair, now let’s see who is available …”. People just find themselves being attracted to other people who they encounter, and draw closer and closer until it’s a full blown affair.

The fact that Allen could have had affairs with all sorts of people is completely irrelevant. He didn’t happen to fall in love with those people and he did happen to fall in love with Soon Yi.

Yes and no. Yes, people don’t decide to have an affair and then pick someone, but it’s also possible to be attracted to someone and deliberately avoid being drawn “closer and closer until it’s a full blown affair.” Who you are attracted to is not a choice- but actually getting involved is absolutely a choice.

We all know this already. We all knew this from day one. Nobody needs it to be explained.

Human society forbids incest for two reasons. First is genetic, and as members my family happen to be carriers of a recessive genetic disorder, I get exactly why it would be a VERY bad idea for us to have children with each other. The other is societal, the idea of a parent using that familial relationship to groom a child into being a sexual partner.

My understanding that neither of these apply, so this relationship is not actually violating the things we’re trying to prevent as a society. Is it weird? Yes. But it’s more of a “what you do behind closed doors with a competent adult partner is your own business” weird than a “you need professional help to prevent you from hurting yourself or others” kind of weird.

There is also someone making themselves deliberately attractive to someone intentionally.

You can be attracted to people without having an affair with them. By choosing to act on his feelings he ensured that his children’s family would be split forever. He put his own wants over that of his children.

Not disputing that.

I was just reacting to your point that “As a rich director Allen could have slept with almost anyone he wanted. He chose to have an affair with Previn”. I think the implication that he was in a position of ambivalence as to who he had an affair with is incorrect.

If you’re just making a more limited claim that he made things really awkward and uncomfortable for his kids by not resisting the urge to have an affair with their sister, then I’m with you.

I read the article linked in the OP. It seems to me the point has been missed by most here. This is not about whether or not Allen sexually abused Dylan. It’s not about whether he’s a pedophile or ephebophile. It’s not about whether or not Mia Farrow is bat-shit crazy and abused her children of color. It’s about the effects of the differing versions of reality and the damaged the confused family dynamics had on the children in that family.

The fact that some of the children passionately defend Allan and blame Mia Farrow and that some of the children passionately defend Farrow and blame Allan says nothing about which one, Farrow or Allan, is telling the truth. It does say there are children who were so messed up by the warped and chaotic dynamics in this family and the very public recriminations that they no longer have a sense of shared reality.