Moses Farrow defends Woody Allen

Holy cow! This is a fantastic allegory for the current state of America as a whole.

How odd that people are very comfortable accusing women of lying, but it seems to be taboo to so much as hint that men not only do so but benefit from sexism by using the “she lied/she’s unstable” trope.

I’m not sure what you’re reading, but I thought this thread was about the reality that people were going far out of their way to avoid accusing a woman (Mia) of lying even though another woman (Soon-Yi) was making the accusation. And nobody was accusing Soon-Yi of lying; they were just ignoring everything she said, both about Mia and about how she did not have a a familial relationship with Woody.

Moreover, people have for decades felt enormously comfortable accusing Woody of lying along with a range of far more serious crimes, none of which appear to be supported by evidence.

How did you manage to get the words on this page so totally upside-down?

It’s exactly the opposite in this case.

Everyone is assuming that Mia Farrow and Dylan are telling the truth, and not bothering to look at the evidence. You seem to be doing the same.

No, I’m NOT assuming that they’re telling the truth. Allen and Moses substantially misrepresent the facts in general. Allen has lost four court battles, refused to take a polygraph administered by the cops, was in therapy for inappropriate behavior at the time the charges were made, and was found by one judge to have behaved “grotesquely” with Dylan. The Yale-New Haven team—which Allen defenders like to cite----never even met Dylan or Farrow, and didn’t contain either psychiatrists or psychologists. The lead doctor was a pediatrician. Moreover, Allen has changed his story.

Modnote: Keep this from getting personal. Debate the post and not the poster.

Unfortunately, almost everything you say here is factually incorrect.

What is the source of your information? Can you provide any reputable cites to back up your claims?

Whaaaat? How could you possibly think a child abuse investigation wouldn’t include interviewing the child?

From wikipedia:

That is a blatant lie. The Yale-New Haven team never even met with either Dylan or Farrow, and they tore up their notes. See my longer comment.

They seemed to go out of their way to describe fanciful language as something sinister. Dylan said the attic was full of “dead heads.” Mia kept wig stands–,-mannequin heads—there. Dylan called twilight “magic hour” or something sinister. The time around sunset is in fact called golden hour by photographers.

Right here. So you guys are believing a guy who’s changed his story, who is rumored to financially depend on Allen, but throw terms like “crazy” around when describing Farrow.

10 Undeniable Facts About the Woody Allen Sexual-Abuse Allegation | Vanity Fair

I think you replied to the wrong poster.

Again, rather than just throwing out all these statements, can you provide any reputable cites for what you are claiming?

WIKIPEDIA? Which can be edited by anybody?

I’m sorry, what you are claiming is beyond belief.

That’s a pretty weak criticism since the bit he quoted is cited. You can pull up the cite and debate whether the Wikipedia page accurately summarized it, or whether the cite itself is reliable, but “Wikipedia is not reliable because it can be edited!” Is BS

This is the source:

Sorry, no. Wikipedia is not reliable. That article notes that Leventhal never met with Dylan or Farrow—and destroyed his notes. None of the Yale personnel would testify. The state police initially hired them but found them unreliable.

Another expert. I noted the weird criticism of a seven-year-old’s creative language. Here’s an expert saying the same thing.

That’s not what Vanity Fair article said - it said

The social workers never testified; the hospital team only presented a sworn deposition by Dr. Leventhal, who did not examine Dylan.

There’s a big difference between saying one specific person never examined Dylan and no one on the team did.

And of course someone on that team interviewed Dylan - otherwise they couldn’t have mentioned her use of “deadheads” for wig heads and “magic hour” for sunset.

. “The panel consisted of two social workers and a pediatrician, Dr. John Leventhal, who signed off on the report but who never saw Dylan or Mia Farrow. No psychologists or psychiatrists were on the panel. The social workers never testified; the hospital team only presented a sworn deposition by Dr. Leventhal, who did not examine Dylan.”

That first sentence is a biiiiitttt unclear, so I’ll give you that.

Not discounting other points, but this here is notable. I would refuse to take a polygraph administered by the cops. Polygraphs administered by cops are bullshit. They’re jus a tool to trick people into making admissions against their interest. They aren’t “lie detectors.”

You seem to be conflating the panel that reviewed the report with the team that produced the report

It’s not unclear at all- if the writer meant no one on the team/panel saw Dylan or Mia Farrow, that’s what the article would have said. It very specifically mentioned that Dr. Levanthal did not see them.

I’m not saying that the report was reliable, because I don’t know that it was. But saying that Levanthal didn’t see them doesn’t mean no one did.