Most Beautiful Cities In the World

Locally: Sandpoint, ID
Nationally: Seattle, Washington D.C. in the government areas

Internationally: Vancouver, BC, Prague

My mom’s pen pal says Perth Australia is beautiful.

IIRC, Scott Carpenter commented it looked nice from above during his space flight.

Agreeing on Istanbul, Venice, Montreal, and Quebec.

Adding Santa Fe, Boulder, and Savannah-- my faves in the USA.

AND he got to hang out with me. I’m sure it was the highlight of the trip. :cool:

Agree with San Francisco. And Hong Kong too, the harborfront is always stunning, especially when it’s lit up at Christmas. Not a big fan of Shanghai, but I do admit strolling around the French Quarter can make you feel like you’ve gone back in time a century or so, and the Bund (riverfront) is beautiful.

This is difficult. Every city I have visited has its own personality, quirks, and rhythm. I can’t identify one as being the fairest of them all.

I’m going to go with a spot rather than a city: Plitvice Lakes in Croatia

Well, I lived in west LA for several years, and I found that to be an urban legend. Ymmv though.

I would like to nominate Maastricht,The Netherlands

I’ll admit bias as it is in my home county, but Durham is a beautiful city.
The approach by train is one of the great city arrivals in my opinion. You come in at high level and look across the river to the castle and cathedral perched on the peninsula. Really quite lovely.

I’m intending to take a trip to Durham at some point in the not too distant future. My mate lives near Newcastle so was thinking of going to see him, then doing a tour.

I have travelled by bus through MK from the railway station Eastwards. I didn’t see any town at all. Is that a good thing? :wink:

I know I’m partial to my home town, but many visitors find Stockholm very beautiful and I tend to agree with them.

The great thing about being in Newcastle is that you have the option of the direct trains down to Durham and York, and up to Edinburgh. Really well placed for exactly that sort of touring.

Hangzhou is incredible - although it’s not really the whole city, but just because of West Lake.

Some others I really like for various reasons: NYC, Queensland (NZ), Amsterdam, Rhodes

Really tough question - I may have to reserve judgment until I take a few trips this year.

I haven’t done a ton of traveling yet, but of the places I’ve been I will say that Helsinki, while not too much different structurally from most cities, was the cleanest, shiniest city I’ve ever visited. Most cities have some levels of grime, dirt, construction, graffiti, etc. dispersed throughout but Helsinki was absolutely pristine, almost like there are hoardes of elves with brooms and mops that come out at night and scrub everything down.

This really needs a poll attached. I’m going to vote for Paris, Vancouver, BC, San Francisco and Lucerne.

For clean and shiny, there’s Singapore. I’m not sure I would call it a beautiful city, although it is in some areas, but it certainly is pleasant surroundings – and very clean.

Venice.

Why are we having a discussion?

I dont get you, you said you thought Paris was totally unimpressive (or are you voting for Paris, Texas?).

Paris. Speaking as one who walks compulsively, it’s the greatest small (geographically) city to walk for hours in, and most likely get lost in. I lived for a few years in the 18th and the staircases on “the” Butte alone are remarkable, and it’s only a tiny aspect of the many neat things to find even by accident.

Budapest, hands down. I’ve lived here three years now and still marvel at the city. It’s gorgeous.

Prague, Vienna, Venice and Florence are also gorgeous, as is Rio de Janeiro. Fez, Morocco is beautiful as well, but in a totally different way. Wait, Lisbon was pretty great, too, and Toronto. And Chicago. And Bruges. And Sintra, Portugal. And …

Never mind. There are too many totally beautiful cities out there. But Budapest is the most beautiful to me.

I think for me it has to be Barcelona hands down. Went a few years ago with a group of friends to see the Modernista Hospital Sant Pau and stayed at the lovely Marina Suite Apartmentswhich were really close by and in the middle of everything. That city is gorgeous!