Most emotionally manipulative TV shows

Hispanic here, and I have to report that many Mexican “telenovelas” are the champions in this area.

One of the top ones is “La Rosa de Guadalupe”

La rosa de Guadalupe is considered the most controversial series Televisa has ever transmitted throughout Latin America, constantly subjected to criticism since its first broadcast.[5] It consistently portrays children and adolescents as antagonists. It is also criticized for insinuating that society’s problems are only resolved through prayers and divine intervention and for presenting an exaggerated reality about Catholics, in addition to casting young actors with poor performances.[6] Nonetheless, the controversy has brought a sizable amount of attention to the series and created a cult following online, where it is viewed as a source of accidental comedy.

Yeah, even worse than “Highway to Heaven” regarding how manipulative it was.

I experienced one that was a combination of these two things. American Idol (I think) spent 10 minutes on a guy who was a terrible singer, and didn’t even make it past the audition stage, but it ended up being an entire segment of the judges getting progressively frustrated with him as he performed worse and worse.

This guy had a stage act where he would come out and do the same thing—be a bad singer, a bad comedian, a bad magician, etc. I think it was supposed to be some kind ironic performance or Andy Kaufman type thing. Problem was, it was just bad. Not like bad as a satire, just bad. The event I went to where he was an opening act, the audience hated him, and not loved-to-hate him hate, but just straight up hated him.

Anyway, that wasn’t really emotional manipulation I suspect, as much as just playing it up for comedy, “watch the judges make fun of some smug guy who thinks he’s better than he is”.

(continuing the slight hijack)

Note that they’ve usually made it past one stage to even make it to the televised audition stage.

Someone (not one of the celebrity judges) has watched their performance, decided they fit into either the “best” or “worst” category, and told to come back for the audition.

And note that of course they are not told whether their performance was good, and they are often treated pretty bad in other ways (eg a lot of waiting around for hours with no food or water or indication of how long it would take).

That’s interesting.
With the talent shows, a lot is done with editing.

I knew a guy who was a breakdancer in his 40s. He was actually pretty popular in the scene because he had gray hair but could still do many of the moves; he had a particularly smooth windmill.
But on Britain’s got talent, they just showed him doing toprock (the stand-up dancing prior to starting the gymnastic stuff), and an audience laughing at him.
Even if the laughter was the response to him and not edited in from something else (I have my doubts), I’m sure they would have stopped laughing when he started the power moves.

Of course, in a different year maybe they decide an old breakdancer is actually a saleable character, and present things very differently.

Anyway, in your case, if you saw the dude live and he was bad, then he was just bad I guess.

I have to say I am a huge fan of the reality show So You Think You Can Dance because with few exceptions it is relentlessly positive. I’ve never seen a panelist be cruel to a contestant. There are some occasional heart-rending backstories but the show seems overwhelmingly focused on a love of dance.

I am sorry to say their ratings have plummeted and every year they renew for a new season I am pleasantly surprised. Maybe it’s not as popular because they don’t resort to the negativity.

The UK version of the X factor had accusations of manipulating the mentally subnormally and mentally ill for the purposes of laughing at their awful acts. They were told how wonderful they were by the staff, then marched out onto the stage to be jeered at booed by thousands of people.

there’s a few contest shows on food network there where they have character types they fill in

the biggest offender is “worst cooks in America” they have a couple of parents that barley cook for their kids one or two 40 year old eternally bachelor/ette types that have demanding job where they eat tv dinners and are funny even though they don’t know it

one or two barely out of college types …its like watching the “preview” you can pretty much pick out who the first 5 or 6 eliminations are going to be

The Ed Sullivan Show was extremely popular (granted, in a 3-channel world), and gave exposure to unknowns and well-knowns alike. I would absolutely watch that show, and I avoid US-produced “reality competition” shows for all the reasons already stated.

This has always been true to some extent but especially the last few seasons. They churn 'em out one after another and the “roles” are very blatant, always some buff dumb guy, always a cute young girl, always an ultra-quirky (like, so quirky they barely seem human) older person. Of course the joke’s on me since I still watch it… but if you happen across an episode from one of the first couple of seasons, the difference in tone is pretty amazing!

Was it Chopped? They pull that all the time, it’s completely put me off watching it.

Nobody gets a tragic backstory in Iron Chef!

the last one i watched was where alton brown was on it … and talk about a meltdown lol … hed never done one of their shows and I see why

Definitely Bojack Horseman.

Supposed to be a comedy about a washed up sitcom actor who cannot get his shit together, and instead it’s full of heavy stuff about everything from depression to loss to grief to addiction (It’s a fantastic show, but the disconnect between the comedy and the drama is pretty jarring).

Chopped isn’t that bad with it simply because the format doesn’t allow much time for it. If there is a sob story they only have a minute to get it out before they have to make a dish out of circus peanuts, kangaroo and peyote.

When it first came out Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was a good show. They picked some random family, kicked them out of their house and did amazing things to the property. The show really was about the renovation. It was fun to see what they could do to a house in a short amount of time. They actually showed you the work they were doing.

I guess they realized they got more ratings with glurgey stories. No more ordinary families. Now it was dead parents and disabled children. Half the time they didn’t renovate they would knock down and put up a pre-fab. No more concentrating on the renovation. The work was hardly shown at all. Then on top of it there was always an over the top bedroom for some kid based on what he likes this week that will completely embarrass him in a year or two.

For me, Glee is pretty manipulative. It was a good kind of manipulation for the first three seasons, but it became bad for the rest of the series. I initially cried when I was watching the first three seasons because everything is so good. When the fourth season started, I cried out of cringe. Anyway, they are still one of my favorite series of all time.

I usually don’t watch this kind of genre. But since a few members mentioned it on this thread, it seems like it’s a good show with an interesting storyline. I guess I need to watch it.

The show lost me after awhile but it may be a top 5 or at least top 10 best pilot episodes ever. Especially if you go in not knowing anything about the show.

And Sterling K Brown is amazing in everything he does.

Bwa-ha-ha! Don’t tell anyone at the show - they’ll put that in the basket, along with durian!

Welcome, @notadoctorshh!

On this show called Garage Squad, a team comes in a fixes up your car project that you failed to finish for many years. The earlier episodes were all about the cars. but then…

Now there always has to be a tragic sob story. Someone died tragically, some kid committed suicide, it’s always something. And they play the sad weepy music while they tell the story. If they can work in something like a cute detail tribute to the dead person, or say “they’re looking down on us today!” *, all the better.

I didn’t notice how cumulatively manipulative it was until this thread.

I don’t know how they manage to find so many people with 1) unfinished classic cars, 2) with a sad story, 3) in Illinois.

* If they are looking down, they’re probably saying “don’t let them put on those gawd awful wheels. yeesh!”

Good zinger there. It’s curious to me why there seems to be no middle ground between absolute factory stock restorations and the over-customized nightmares these clowns just love to turn out: “Busy” paint schemes, hideous looking large overstyled wheels, whorehouse interiors.

Just about all these “reality” car shows are crap and have evolved ( or devolved ) into basically just 30 minutes ( minus ads ) of overacted drama that just happen to use cars as props. I never watch them anymore except when I’m an unfortunate captive audience.

Would Desperate Housewives be too vapid to qualify as emotionally manipulative?
Mad Men, I thought, tried a little too hard.
Six Feet Under?

Soaps, of course, have to be brazenly emotionally manipulative, more than anything else, really.

Never saw an episode of Twilight, but I’ll go out on a limb on this one…