Most psychedelic movie/TV experience?

There’s always the hallucination scene in Oklahoma. (Of course, Oklahoma is one seriously twisted musical, with a whole PhD dissertation’s worth of weird psycho-sexual imagery in it.)

I’ll be the first to name Eraserhead.

And for a really odd musical film Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.
I recall vague snatches of the songs & visuals but its overall effect was trippy indeed.

That reminds me of the Heffalumps and Woozles song dream sequence on Winnie the Pooh. Not that I’d watch it while tripping, it’d probably scare the heck outta me!

Uh, folks… The original trippy movie… I present you with Fantasia!

Watching Eraserhead while on acid would not be a good idea. Nor Alien, people do not watch Alien on acid, don’t. Stick to Dumbo

There’s some good simuation of the visual effects of a trip in the film of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I’m thinking of the dinosaur bar scene.

Nicolas Roeg’s Performance is awfully trippy, though for some strange reason it’s not available on DVD, and the videotape doesn’t do it justice. (Does anybody know if there’s some kind of copyright problem here?) Don’t over think it, and it’ll really put in the twilight zone.

Alejandro Jadarowsky’s *El Topo * is a hell of a trip, too. This one is availalble on DVD, though I’ve not seen the DVD version.

Parts of *Fellini’s Roma * and *Juliet of the Spirits * are pretty trippy, too.

There was a pilot for a Dr. Strange TV series that tried to use 70s era FX to simulate Ditko’s art.

Very weird.

Alien worked out fine for me, although it was scarier than normal. I’d be afraid to watch Dumbo. It’s too scary as it is!

Say, what about Bunuel’s (sp?) The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie? I watched it four times before I realized it actually had a story!

The end of the movie Altered States.

It’s not just a creative title.

The New Orleans scenes from Easy Rider. It has the Electric Prunes singing “Kyrie Eleison” (from “Mass In F Minor”) and a “bad acid trip”.

Don’t miss The Devil and Daniel Mouse. I saw it on TV (!) as a kid and it literally scared me to Jesus for at least a year before my inevitable atheism finally kicked in.

I rented it again a couple of years ago, and though it didn’t send me crying to Jesus again, I was still pretty impressed. Best. Devil. Ever.

Fantastic Planet
The King of Hearts
Mr. Frost

How about the “Pink Elephants on Parade” number from Dumbo?

Rob Zombie’s peyote eating scene from Beavis and Butt-Head Do America.

Zardoz.

I’d have to nominate Wizards, by Ralph Bakshi. What a bizarre story. The rotoscoping is particularly trippy.

The Groove Tube. First and only time I ever tried LSD. Probably the perfect movie to watch while high.

It’s been a long time since I saw The Devils , but I remember that it had some mind-blowing scenes. Not for the faint of heart!

I have to heartily second this one (and Fritz the Cat) and mention the Saturday afternoon I dropped a hit of Orange Sunshine and picked a movie at random. At that time I had never heard of A Clockwork Orange.
JebusHChristopher!
I sat throught the entire showing THREE FREAKIN’ TIMES because I was too stupified to get up out of my seat in the theater.
Whoa! Bad JuJu!

The Forbidden Zone. *

I first saw this movie in Edmonton in the late eighties, tripped out of my skull on LSD. I watched it with my sister, who tolerated it – and then I watched it through again two more times.

It’s a Richard Elfman production, with bro Danny and the rest of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo providing the soundtrack – retooling classic 30s jazz numbers. The production design is 33% Fleischer Bros (but mostly live-action,) 33% Hellzapoppin!, and 33% John Waters/Andy Warhol outrageous debauchery. It features Hervé Villechaize as the Dwarf King of the Sixth Dimension, reading lines like “I love to feel your nipples stiffen as I caress them with my fingers,” (to his queen, Susan Tyrell,) and Viva as the bitter Ex-Queen reading lines like (my personal favourite exit-line ever, useful for any leave-taking,) “Excuse me, I gotta go change a tampax.”

Fantastic music, outrageous situations, killer dialogue (really), and Marie-Pascal Elfman as the Spoiled Princess of the Sixth Dimension who wanders around topless and perky for the entire film. I really need to transfer this movie to DVD soon so I can watch it again. I’ve seen it maybe thirty times.

Less frivoulously, and much more seriously psychedlic, Alejandro Jodorowsky’s Holy Mountain. All of Jodorowsky’s films are prime psychedelic fare, but The Holy Mountain reigns supreme. A fusion of Hermeticism, Alchemy, Tarot, and other western mystery traditions into a psychedlic pastiche about a band of 9 spiritually-inclined outlaws on a quest to scale the Holy Mountain and overthrow the 9 immortals who secretly rule the universe. I have introduced many people to this film while under the influence of LSD, MDMA, DMT, LSA, and mescaline, and, while some have come away merely bemused and perplexed, several people still talk about that experience as a watershed for them in their life. Yes, it’s that good. Especially if you know just a little bit about arcane subjects.

Arise! The Subgenius Video. Very DIY-feeling, lo-tech video. I’ve watched this so many times and it always seems like the first time, because it’s such an intense barrage of stimulation. Of course, it’s not the sort of thing you watch without being substantially altered, so you can watch it a dozen times and each time you’ll miss 23 different thing whlie you’re holding your sides with tears streaming down your cheeks from the Big Joke that did manage penetrate the oversoul. Fuuuucked up.

Harvey. Yes, the Jimmy Stewart movie. Likewise, Arsenic and Old Lace.

I love the books too much to get anything out of Disney’s Alice, no matter how high I get. God knows I’ve tried, it just makes me too angry.

I do, however, highly recommend Jan Svankmejer’s Alice. It takes just as many liberties with the original as the Disney thing does, but doesn’t feel dumbed-down at all – on the contrary, it seems more like everything but the most esoteric elements have been discarded entirely. Weeeeeird.

Lately, when I’m full of lovey, relaxing stimulants (like, uh, caffeine and guarana,) I’ve been enjoying putting Daft Punk’s Interstella 5555 up and cranking it through the surround headphones. In fact, I think I’ll do that now, seeing as I’m full of lovey, relaxing stimulants. Like caffeine. And phenylalanine. See ya.

*Holy crap! I just remembered I forgot to reply to email on this subject from one of my favourite Dopers. Aaack!

I remember it. Freaking creepy movie. How about The Boy Who Could Fly and Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveler? There sure was some bizarre stuff going on in ‘80s kids’ movies.