Most psychedelic movie/TV experience?

What are your most psychedelic and/or surrealistic film or television experiences? I’ll start with:

Yellow Submarine
Mirrormask
33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee
(makes Head look sedate)
Alice (a/k/a Neco z Alenky)
Monty Python’s “Royal Navy” recruitment ad

The regular old Disney version of Alice in Wonderland is pretty fuckin’ trippy. I can’t tell you how much I lauged at the Walrus and the Carpenter sequence when I first watched it stoned. The whole thing is insane.

Recently I ran across The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T on AMC. It’s literally “What would you get if Dr. Seuss wrote a musical” since Dr. Seuss actually wrote it. A must-see.

And of course, the final episode of The Prisoner!

200 Motels

Great. I’d finally managed to forget about that abomination and now it’s all coming back to me. That movie is NOT appropriate for young children with overactive imaginations. Ah, the nightmares I suffered afterward. :frowning:

On topic, I’ve always thought Mulholland Drive was rather trippy. But then, it’s David Lynch, so it’s not supposed to make sense. I guess. Anyone who says they completely understood that film is lying, though.

Definitely. Wierder than anyone can imagine, not only in story (there was none) and cast, but visually as psychedelic as you can imagine. Also deserves a footnote as one of the first films shoot entirelyh on videotape and released theatrically; the effects, which would have been very expensive on film, were dirt cheap on video.

Tommy – Ken Russell’s film is a mess, but it’s a psychedelic assault on the senses.
Magical Mystery Tour

J-Lo aside, the mind-meld sequences in The Cell (2000) with Vincent D’Onofrio are pretty trippy.

Natural Born Killers was pretty trippy.

I’ve heard Lost Highway is too, haven’t seen that yet.

Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii (1972) was the trippiest of all movies in my experience. Filmed as they were putting Meddle together I think.
Alice in Wonderland was very trippy and Yellow Submarine has always been a major trip.
The Wall and Song Remains the Same were really excellent back when.
I am not sure why, but Airplane! always worked well at the beginning of a trip.

For added trippiness, watch any of the above in the reflection of a CD. Also watch the films with Pink Floyd or 70’s Yes on somewhere else in the apartment. At some point in the trip, you will be able to perfectly follow the music in the movie and on the CD at the same time. Wow I forgot about a lot of this until I started typing, it is amazing what great trips we use to have, way back when.

Jim

[Wavy Gravy]"…and if you did take the brown acid, they’ll be rerunning Jacob’s Ladder all night in the bummer tent."[/stage announcement]

One of my favorites was watching a tape of Koyaanisquatsi with the sound off while playing Jimi Hendrix’ Electric Ladyland on the stereo.

Seconding everybody who said Yellow Submarine, Mirrormask, and The Cell; also, for the best kind of psychedelic, Reefer Madness.

The little known French western Blueberry/Renegade has some long peyote fuelled native American shamanistic rituals. One is quite lengthy and they are all superb.

Ohhhh, The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. Yeah, that’s a trippy movie. Saw it on TV as a kid when I was home sick from school; I think it gave me a fever.

Roman Polanski’s “The Tenant” is pretty bizarre.

Also The Peanut Butter Solution – anyone remember that one?

Damn! I was going to come in specifically to mention 33 & 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee.
Ah, well. Guess I’ll go with Steven Soderberg’s Schizopolis.

The obvious one, 2001: A Space Odyssey – At least the last fifteen minutes. Clarke said he would regularly get in the mail packets of strange chemicals with the suggestion to take same and watch the movie. He never did.

i always thought Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was pretty trippy, especially the part when Eddie enters Toon Town.

And who can forget The Wizard Of Oz?

Some early examples from Hitchcock are the dream sequences in Spellbound (a collaboration with Salvador Dali) and Vertigo.

And going back even further is Dali and Bunuel’s Un Chien Andalou, which infamously features an eyeball being sliced.

On second thought, perhaps this is more “disturbing” than “trippy”.

The pink elephants sequence in Dumbo, where did that come from?

The Simpsons, when Homer eats the Mexican(?) insanity chilli peppers.

The Magic Roundabout

The Clangers (natch)

When I think about it there a lot of British “childrens” TV programs that qualify, Willo the Wisp, Trapdoor, Roobarb. . .

The party they go to in **Midnight Cowboy ** looks great in a 60’s psychedelic way. I’d love to find a party like that. But maybe bring a better date than Ratzo.