Most quotable movies of all time

Redpill or Bluepill? The Matrix.

Seems like a lot of Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate factory would be instantly recognizable.

Star Wars?

The Long Kiss Goodnight
+1 The Princess Bride
+1 Army of Darkness

I’ve heard “say hello to my little friend” a lot over the years. So I submit Scarface.

Mr. Cock-toast-n?

Your example runs contrary to your question. The Big Lebowski is still a cult film. Very few people will recognize, “There’s a beverage involved.” or “Mark it a 0.” The same is true for Monty Python and the Holy Grail, “Alright, we’ll call it a draw.” and “I fart in your general direction.” would be lost on most people.

Right now the movie with the most commonly recognized quotes is probably Forrest Gump.

The Wizard of Oz

“Ding dong, the witch is dead.”
“Follow the yellow brick road.”
“I am the great and powerful Oz.”
“I do believe in spooks.”
“I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!”
“I’m melting!”
“I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas any more.”
“Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!”
“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.”
“Somewhere over the rainbow.”
“There’s no place like home!”
“We’re off to see the wizard.”
“What have they got that I ain’t got?” “Courage.”

Tim Burton’s Batman:
“I’m you worst nightmare!”
“Where does he get those wonderful toys?”
“Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight!”
“I’m Batman.”
“Wait 'til they get a load of me!”
"You can call me… Joker. And as you can see, I’m a lot happier. "

Rebel scum

I like to think Prince had the greatest part in this meme.

Aliens

The main two for me and my friends for years were:

Spinal Tap and Life of Brian.

There was also a fair amount of Holy Grail and general Phyton stuff in general.

Not even close. The most referenced movie, at least in America, is easily The Wizard of Oz - it’s difficult to go through a typical media-saturated day without hearing at least one reference to the movie.

This, no question.

Another vote for Aliens. See here…

Absolutely *The Wizard of Oz. *This thread should be about the second most quotable movie.

Apart from some of those mentioned, I could add Napoleon Dynamite. I hear lots of lines being quoted all the time…

Another vote for Casablanca. My next choice would be Princess Bride or Spinal Tap, but neither one has the broad appeal of *Casablanca *or Wizard of Oz. I think you’d have to throw Gone with the Wind into the mix as well.

There is no movie with greater quotes than Dr. Strangelove.

A very, very close second is Blazing Saddles

Well, considering how much I’ve heard someone riff on some variation of “feeling lucky, punk?”, I’m gonna nominate Dirty Harry as well.