AFI Top 100 Quotes from US movies - what should be in/out?

AFI Top 100 quotes from US films

OK, what ones should be there that aren’t, and what should be kicked to the curb?

Frankly, my dear, I just don’t give a damn.

Well, somebody had to say it…

Seriously, I don’t see it that don’t qualify, though “You’re gonna need a bigger boat” should be at least in the top five, IMHO.

What?! Nothing from The Princess Bride? The most quotable movie evah? Inigo Montoya, stand up and be heard! The world needs to know. And only one quote from the Lord of the Rings movies? I knew they would leave out some goodies.

“Well this one goes to 11”

“Alright you primative screwheads listen up! This… this is my Boomstick!”

“Give me some sugar baby!”

“Braiinns!!!”

“When there is no room in Hell, the Dead wil walk the Earth.”

“Yeah they’re dead… they’re all messed up.”

“KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!”

“What do you mean I’m Funny? Funny How”

“You can’t really Dust for Vomit”

“I’m your Huckleberry”

1. “I feel the need — the need for speed!”, “Top Gun,” 1986.

??

Ummm…no.

It’s true your honor, this man has no dick.

Leave her alone you bitch!

Bueller? Beueller?

My brother paid a dollar to see your underpants.

We made it mother! Mother?

What truck?

I don’t know, I’m making it up as I go.

I would object to the inclusion of Lou Gehrig’s line from Pride of the Yankees considering it was a recreation of Gehrig actually saying it and that is why it is well known.

I don’t remember that Midnight Cowboy line. I assume it’s something Ratzo says. To be placed that high in the listings it ought to be something that is routinely quoted.

The On Golden Pond and Caddyshack lines mean nothing to me–I haven’t seen the movies, and I don’t recall ever hearing the lines quoted. And they’re the two longest quotes on the list.

Giving The Maltese Falcon the credit for a line cribbed from Shakespeare is a major cheat.

A few of these lines aren’t memorable unless you say them the way they are said in the films. “They’re here” doesn’t look like much on paper (or a computer screen).

“You’re out of order! You’re out of order! The whole trial is out of order!” - …And Justice For All

“Hey! Where da white women at?” Blazing Saddles

Over? Did you say “over?” Nothing is over
until we decide it is! Was it over when the
Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!
Bluto Animal House

I don’t think we’re in Kansas any more
Dorothy of course, but used in many other movies & TV shows

4 from the Blues Brothers:
We’re on a mission from God.

It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses.

No I didn’t. Honest… I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn’t have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

I was upset about the lack of Princess Bride quotes. :frowning:

I was multitasking, so I may have missed them but two of my faves from “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”

“Think you used enough dynamite, there, Butch?”

“You keep thinking, Butch…That’s what you’re good at.”

I think they generally did a good job. “Love means never having to say your sorry” was the only bad choice in the top 20 (though they were smart enough to pair it with the reply from “What’s Up, Doc?”: “That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard.”, which is a truly great line.)

A better choice from “The Maltese Falcon” is “I’m a man who likes to talk to a man who likes to talk.”

The most obvious line that belongs there but was left out was:

“The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.”

The one I’d add out of personal preference would be:

“Do you know a man by the name of LaFong? Carl LaFong? Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g. LaFong. Carl LaFong.”

“I’m betting he’s gonna swerve first.” - Bill Murray, driving down the tracks towards an oncoming train, “Groundhog Day,”

“Don’t drive angry!” - Bill Murray, to the groundhog on his lap, same movie

“Morons! Your bus is leaving!” - Bill Murray, to some hicks in the diner, same movie

“Someday you may say, ‘I was there that night… with Arthur, the King!’” - Nicole Williamson (Merlin), “Excalibur”

“Is there a problem, officers?” - Eddie Murphy, “Trading Places”

“Sorry.” - Bluto, after trashing a folk singer’s guitar, “Animal House”

“Shoot straight, you bastards, don’t make a mess of it!” - Morant, to the firing squad, “Breaker Morant” (yes, I know it’s an Australian movie, but it’s a great line!)

“Open the pod bay doors, HAL.” “I’m sorry, Dave, but I can’t do that.” - Bowman and HAL, “2001: A Space Odyssey”

“Of all the beings I have met in my travels, he was the most… human.” - Kirk in his eulogy to Spock, “STII:WOK”

Unless I’m being whooshed… it is routinely quoted, though many people don’t know that its from that movie.

“Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in!”
– Al Pacino, Godfather III. I hear it quoted quite a bit, honest.

…and may I add:

“We’re gonna win. WE’RE GONNA WIN!” - Jimmy Dugan, “A League of Their Own”

“Did you know you look like a walking penis with that hat on?” - ditto, to an umpire

“But… I love you!”
::slaps him:: “Snap out of it!” - Nicholas Cage and Cher, “Moonstruck”

“To infinity… and beyond!” - Buzz Lightyear, “Toy Story”

“No capes!” - Edna Mode, “The Incredibles”

“Showtime!” - Mr. Incredible, “The Incredibles”

“When all those guys were trying to kill us… that was the best vacation EVER!” - Dash, “The Incredibles”

“Kari. That’s like ‘Carrie’, but with a K instead of a C, an “ah” instead of an “eh”, one R, and an I instead of an IE”. - Kari, from “Jack Jack Attacks”

No whoosh. I saw Midnight Cowboy just a few years ago and obviously did not pick up on that line as anything famous or memorable, nor does it ring a bell now.

Lots of good choices in this thread. But my favorite Butch Cassidy line remains “Rules? In a knife fight?

Inigo Montoya: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die. Now, offer me money.
[slices Count Rugen’s cheek]
Count Rugen: Yes.
Inigo Montoya: Power too. Promise me that.
[slices Count Rugen’s other cheek]
Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please…
Inigo Montoya: Offer me everything I ask for.
Count Rugen: Any thing you want.
Inigo Montoya: I want my father back, you son of bitch.

Vizzini: HE DIDN’T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Miracle Max: Get back, witch.
Valerie: I’m not a witch, I’m your wife. And after what you just said, I’m not even sure I want to be that any more.

Inigo Montoya: Are you the Miracle Max who worked for the king all those years?
Miracle Max: The King’s stinking son fired me, and thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you’re at it, why don’t you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it? We’re closed.

Westley: There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.
Westley: No. To the pain.
Prince Humperdinck: I don’t think I’m quite familiar with that phrase.
Westley: I’ll explain and I’ll use small words so that you’ll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
Westley: It won’t be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don’t mean to duplicate tonight.
Westley: I wasn’t finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let’s get on with it.
Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I’ll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, “Dear God! What is that thing,” will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
Prince Humperdinck: I think your bluffing.
Westley: It’s possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It’s conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I’m only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again… perhaps I have the strength after all.
[slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]
Westley: DROP… YOUR… SWORD!

Westley: I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women.

Dread Pirate Roberts: Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I’ll most likely kill you in the morning

Hopefully this was a good enough sampling