Most ridiculously overpriced item you've ever had to buy in a pinch?

A few years ago I went to an all day music festival in the middle of the summer. It was hot and humid, but I planned ahead and had bottles of water so I wouldn’t get dehydrated.

The security guards at the gate of the amphitheater confiscated the plastic bottles, dumped the water, and threw the bottles away. I realized that this probably meant I’d be paying 3$ a bottle for water inside. How wrong I was.

The concession stands ran out of water before even the half-way point of the festival, so all they had was Coke and stuff with alcohol in it. Now, I’ve got no problem with Coke or alcohol, but with the weather conditions as they were, I was needing actual water to stay hydrated, not diuretics like caffeine and beer. I tried to convince one of the concessions to give me or sell me an empty plastic cup, the ones that they used for beer, so that I could fill it up at the water fountain. Beer and Cokes were going for 5$ a cup. I had to pay 5$ for a beer and dump the beer so that I could get water.

I still can’t figure out why they didn’t stock enough water so they didn’t run out less than half way into the concert.

From where? Saturn? :smiley:

$40 for some “fancy” golfballs.

I was at a course with a buddy. The green fees were ridiculously expensive to even begin with, and we were only doing a twilight round. Not being a great golfer (I have NO long game) and it being a long course, I lost many a ball. My buddy was losing balls at a high rate as well. When we hit the 9th, I think, the balls ran out. We took the cart to the proshop, and I offer to go in and buy the balls since he had bought the beer earlier. Bad mistake. The only balls in there were some fancy, highpriced, got the course name on em’ balls balls. $40 for 12.

We then proceeded to lose another 6 in three holes.

$10 a beer in Iceland. And that was for domestic.

This still pisses me off -

I once attended a 3 day volleyball tournament in the Baltimore Convention Center. They would not allow people to bring in chairs or other big items like coolers. Unlike many tournaments, there wer very few chairs for spectators around the courts.

BUT…the’d sell you cheap folding chairs for $25 a piece. It was either shell out the bucks for a chair just like the one they wouldn’t let you bring in or stand on concrete for 3 days straight.

Heh. I got you ALL beat.

Circa 1993 in Utah. Ex hubby and I were on a camping trip, and decided to take the scenic route through the Henry Mountains. No biggy, we had a Gazeteer that showed us all the dirt roads.

At about noon pm, we took a wrong turn. We quickly realized it, and turned around. Only “around” was up a small hill covered in thick, goopy mud.

We spent the next 4 or 5 hours trying to get the truck up that hill. It wasn’t happening. We had to make a decision: try to mountain bike to civilization and find someone to get us out, or stay there and hope that by morning the mud would have frozen.

According to our Gazetteer, there was a ranch about ten miles away. We’d passed several ranches on our way up, right where the gazetteer said they’d be. It was June, and we weren’t certain it would get cold enough to freeze the mud overnight. 10 miles on a mountain bike is no big deal, so we chose that option.

Only… the ranch wasn’t there. The roads were covered in thick mud. We pushed our bikes for a couple hours, then decided we’d better camp as it was getting dark. Luckily we’d brought our tent along. I started to get hypothermic as soon as we stopped, since I was wet from sweat.

Hubby threw me in the tent, warmed up some food, and we spent the night. When we woke up the next morning, the water bottles in the tent were frozen. Did we do the smart thing and head back to the truck? Heck no. We still were convinced the ranch was close.

We ended up biking out to a highway, and flagged down a truck who dropped us in Hanksville.

Hanksville, if you’ve never been there, is tiny. So tiny that they only have one guy - Carl - with a tow truck. He also owned the only hotel. When we explained our situation, he insisted that he couldn’t do anything until morning, so we were stuck renting a room from him.

In the morning, hubby and Carl got up and went to get the car. Carl insisted that he needed another man, so got a friend to come along. They didn’t, however, bring the tow truck. Or even a four wheel drive. They got in a small truck and drove up to where our truck was - about an hour drive.

When they got there, Carl said to my hubby “The ground is frozen, see if you can drive it out.” Hubby tried, and the truck came right out. No towtruck or even a push involved.

Now all of this was partially our stupidity - we were stupid to go up in the mountains at that time of year, and we should have spent the night with the truck to see if the ground would freeze. But we didn’t, and we were prepared to pay for that, no biggy.

What we weren’t prepared for was just how much Carl wanted to take us for. Altogether he spent maybe 2 hours helping us. He took his vehicle, so that makes sense to pay mileage. But he charged us for time for both him and his friend (who did nothing but sit in the car), and mileage, and a tow fee. It came to $500. We protested, but there was really nothing we could do - there was noone else who was willing to help us.

Afterwards, we talked to some of the townspeople, and they told us Carl did this several times a summer. He had a monopoly and he took people for whatever he wanted. Not only that, but he’d routinely claim he couldn’t go for at least a day, so the people would be forced to stay in his hotel.

Beat that!

Oh, fetus, fetus. The salesman fiugured he found himself a friher (sucker), and you know what? He was right. You should have shoved the extra lighter backi and shouted at him:

“No! Not two lighters, one! Give me five shekels change! Now!”

9 times out of 10 he’ll just give a phony apology. If he refuses, or professes not to understand English, you just raise the volume and hysteria/anger in your voice. You can even bang your hand on the counter four extra emphasis. Sooner or later he would have given you your change, along with a bogus “what do these tourists know?” eyeroll.

I just flew from the UK to Australia - and my 2 bags together were 6kg over my luggage allowance. As one bag was too heavy to officially lift, I had to unpack into a 3rd backpack. Expecting a £ per kg over charge, expected it to be around £30 at the most. Nah, guess what - I got charged a flat rate for the 3rd bag, £150… That’s £25 a kg (US$50 for 2lbs) - Surely that gets me the last brownie?? :slight_smile:

12 Euros for a rum and coke in Santorini.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, I really wanted a rum and coke. ;j

That sounds really inconvenient. Anyone care to explain why this is? My googling turns up only results pertinent to some band named Exact Change.

$8 for a bowl of oatmeal from room service because Mr. Wild was feeling poorly and needed something bland.

I know it’s not a huge sum of money but the amount of bulk oats you can buy for $8 had us kind of pissy about the whole thing.

I was freezing at the zoo one day. I thought I had dressed warmly enough (though it turned out I was coming down sick), but I kept shivering and shaking, even though the sun was shining. My husband sent me into the souvenir shop to grab a sweater. They had lots of vests and tank tops, but only one sweater.

$80-some dollars. With taxes, it came to over $90. It’s warm, it’s comfy, it’s burgundy and has a picture of an elephant head on it. Shite. I wear it as often as I can out of some sense of obligation, even though the damn thing is about three sizes too big… (it was all they had!) When winter comes, it will make a nice nightshirt.

Alessan defined it. He got taken by an agressive clerk. There’s no ‘exact change’ rule. The guy just pushed it and got away with it.

I’ve been through Israel a bit. It ain’t like the States. You better be prepared to push back.

As for me?

$120 for an ounce of mouse blood. One of our pet mice had cancer in his cheek and we were getting his operated on. I didn’t even KNOW there was a means to purchase mouse blood.

The “exact change” thing happens in Mexico too. No one ever has change. No hay cambio, nunca nunca nunca.

We’re ripped off pretty much everywhere we go (I knew I never should have had PUNTER tattooed on my forehead) so I would just be posting a litany of suckery shame.

No problem. My wife and I were posted in Mali with the State Department. American-type foodstuffs are virtually non-existant, of course, although the DOS will pay to ship non-perishables with your household goods. I made a trip back to DC for some training and thought it would be cool to buy a frozen turkey to take back for Thanksgiving. So I bought a 24-lb bird and a cheap cooler, taped in shut and went to the airport. Turned out I was overweight on baggage and had to pay first class baggage fare to Africa for the turkey, which ran me about $350, as I recall. That was one expensive dinner.

Uh, so they could charge you $5 for beer or Coke?

I say the only solution to situations like these and other types of corporate extortion mentioned in this thread is mob violence.

Yeah, I was pretty sure the price on anything I wanted to buy in Mexico tripled as soon as they saw my gringo face. I began cynically referring to this as the “American price.”

And Jonathan Chance, you paid for surgery to a mouse?

I remember buying something in the official Soviet tourist souvenir store in Moscow back in the 80s. They only accepted hard currency, no rubles, so I forked over a $20 bill to pay for something that was the equivalent of about $3. Turns out they never gave dollars in change, so the woman at the register hands me a handful of a combination of yen, pesos, francs, and some coins I couldn’t even identify. It was done in a very officious manner and after some poking at a calculator that probably wasn’t even turned on, giving the transaction some slight appearance of being legitimate. I think I calculated the coin value later at about $2.

Once spent $2700 for a Winchester mdl 70 in .300 H&H Magnum back in November of '63, so that was a heck of a lot of money.
Dallas airport “lost” my luggage, you see, and we already had the ammo made up - 6.5x52 bullet in a sabot so as to fire through the bigger barrel. Everything was in place and Lee… er, a guy was in place with his little Carcano, and if anyone retrieved my .300 then the Knights of Columbus would finally emerge victorious.

I paid $8 for a 500ml bottle of coke on a tradeshow floor in Anaheim. Stupid tradeshow are soooo overpriced.