Most ridiculously overpriced item you've ever had to buy in a pinch?

I just paid $20 for a cheap pair of sunglasses. I just can’t live without them anymore. On a sunny day anyway.

We used to have an annual show in Phoenix called “That Damn Show” that was put on by a local radio station. It was held in early September and generally showcased 10+ alternative bands (Offspring, Reel Big Fish, Artificial Joy Club, etc).

For those of you who have never had the pleasure of visiting Phoenix in September, let me try my best to explain…

It’s HOT. HOTHOTHOT. It was in the low 100’s the first time I went to a Damn Show. Did I mention that they held this concert outside? And that gates opened at 11am and the show started at noon?

No outside ANYTHING was allowed in. I’m honestly surprised I got to keep my clothes on.

I ended up spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 in WATER that day alone. (which roughly translated into 10-16 oz bottles, I believe.)

Several years ago I arranged a plane ticket to Nebraska with a travel agent in Seattle that specialized in discount travel for students. It was to be a surprise weekend visit to my parents, and I had only told one person I was coming - the friend who was picking me up from the airport.

When I arrived at the airport in Seattle, they had no record of my flight. Because it was very early morning, there was no answer at the travel agent. After several frantic phone calls, I determined that I was never charged for the ticket. Because my trip was so short, and there weren’t many flights from Seattle to Nebraska, my only option was to buy a last-minute ticket right then for the flight I thought I had booked.

It cost me over $2,000 - and that was coach!

While both you and Athena paid more, I still have you both beat based on pirce per gram. :smiley:

:smack:
I also have you beat based on price.
:smack:
Preview damn it preview!

I was trapped overnight on a mountain after an earthquake, I had camping supplies but thought it would be prudent to buy some extra food in case the roads took more than a day to open. Sonovabitch store owner charged $5.00 per can of Ravioli! and $8.00 per gallon for gas! this was in 1992 in Southern California. Turns out the roads open 3 hours after I bought the food. So I was home by the even and had a very expensive dinner.

The price for a can of Coke was ridiculously high when I was in Italy last summer. After a day of exploring the sweaty streets of Rome, however, I would pay anything for a nice Coke.

Thats why I forked over 5 Euros for a barely-cold can. It exploded when I opened it, soaking my stylish new Italian clothes and humiliating me at the base of the Spanish Steps. So really, I payed 5 Euros for half a coke.

I guess I got a bargain at Ozzfest in Camden then, beer was only $7.

Every woman in the thread will nod along when I say, on a couple of occasions, “Tampax.”