Most Suspenseful Opening Scenes in Movies

Top Gun. Love the music (Jenny Loggins’ Danger Zone) when the first F-14 takes off from the aircraft carrier, and the flight deck scenes of prepping before, and action after.

DesertRoomie loves Top Gun so we have the disk. I tease her by saying, “Okay, the good part’s over. We can shut it off, now,” after the titles have run.

“No-o-o-o-o! Not 'til the volleyball game!”

Bullit opening scene

The beginning of A History of Violence, with Viggo taking out the robbers, was pretty good.

Martin Sheen getting increasingly unhinged in his hotel room at the beginning of Apocalypse Now got me thinking - ok, where’s this going next?

This seemed enigmatic, but not particularly suspenseful?

Guy trying to escape men trying to kill him, smoke grenade, thinks hes escaped only to find a thug waiting for him, then almost killed driving through alley. It seemed suspenseful and mysterious to me.

…more to to the point, how on earth is this suspenseful?

Delicatessen - We follow the sounds of a butcher sharpening his knives all the way up the building to a man attempting to escape from said butcher.

Mission Impossible 2 - Intro - Rock Climbing Scene. Just no.

Damn - that’s what I originally came here to mention. Thanks for reminding me, anyway.

I was going to say Raider of the Lost Ark.
Also Vertigo.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: things are pretty quiet when Redford is winning at cards, but then go from ‘quiet’ to ‘too quiet’ when a guy who’s lost a little too much money and has a gun at the ready keeps talking in an even tone of voice as the chat moves from ‘conversational’ to ‘accusatory’; at which point Newman tries to defuse the situation, and when he fails it gets even quieter

…the opening for “When a Stranger Calls.” Full opening below, warning its long (16 minutes total spread over two youtube links) and full of spoilers. But gosh its suspenseful.

And I just watched the end again, and I’m in the dark, and there was a noise in the other room, and I’ve just turned on all my lights and closed the door :smiley:

Nothing beats this opening scene for heart-stopping suspense.

That’s as different kind of suspense, altogether.