Most unusual measurement you've seen in a recipe

A skosh is just a touch more than a tad.
A measure of fun

For that you need the Japanese set. No, really, “skosh” is from Japanese.

Ditto to the posts that it’s absolutely not unusual. I have a recipe that was from a now-defunct neighborhood restaurant that was famous for its coleslaw, and it starts with two heads of cabbage, 3 cups of mayo, and 1 cup of sugar (and ends with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tablespoons of celery seed.)

I prefer the no-mayo, tart vinegary styles of coleslaw, roughly shredded, but for pleasing crowds, just dump all that sugar in it and chop it finely, and everyone loves it.

They thought it was a bit sweet too, hence taking the 2 tbsp out :smiley:

Those are actually pretty common - Amazon has many like this. I don’t understand the point, I don’t think these measuring spoons actually correspond to what recipes mean by pinch, dash or drop. And I’ve never seen “tad” in a recipe.

I think they’re meant to be “cutesy” more than anything else. “Tad,” “pinch,” “drop,” “smidge,” are not standardized measurements, to my knowledge.

Oh, and not exactly a measurement, but the proper size for the dough circle for making pierogi, according to my family’s recipe, is a cleaned-out tuna can. Mom keeps one in the same pantry drawer as her measuring cups etc., for exactly that purpose.

I think walnuts of butter were also used.

The medieval quote would be “until it be enough”.

They’re not standardized, but they’ll comfort people who aren’t used to judging pinches and dashes. They can use the spoon and not be wrong.

It’s not very odd, but I ran across a recipe for carrot cake that called for a certain number of tablespoons of egg. I wondered if it was a way of ensuring that the eggs were beaten before they were added to the batter. I made sure there were enough tablespoons of egg and then threw in the rest. An extra half egg in a cake will cause no harm, at least not in anything as thick as a carrot cake.

I see pinch quite often. It’s less than 1/8th of a teaspoon (but more than 1/16th). You know - the amount (of salt) you’d pinch between your fingers. I don’t have my cookbooks here, but I think Betty Crocker uses it quite often.

OK, so here’s the recipe.
1 head of cabbage, shredded
2-3 green bell peppers, chopped
2 onions, sliced

Dressing:
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup salad oil
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dry mustard
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp + 7/8 cup sugar

Combine dressing ingredients and heat to boil*. Pour over veg’s, stir and refrigerate.

• Warning, boiling vinegar will stink up the whole house.

I see two kinds of cole slaw around here. The more common kind is mayo-based, and I would call it “creamy,” bland but not sweet. The other kind, the kind served with fish boils, is a sweet & sour, vinegar-based recipe, with no mayo at all.

That’s four and one half teaspoons.

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup
16 tablespoons = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon

At work I scoop cookie dough and muffin batter with numbered scoops. As the number gets bigger the portions get smaller. The numbers are based on how many scoops make a quart.

So a #8 would be 1/2 cup, because you get eight one-half cups from a quart.

A #30 would be not quite 6.5 teaspoons, and so forth.

Of course not. The skosh is a unit of distance.

On the subject of coleslaw, the best I ever had was at a restaurant in the main terminal at Sea-Tac Airport. There were little chips of fried ginger in it; yummy.

Well, yes, all those terms are used reasonably often. My point was that it’s not an established, fixed measurement, and the spoons are being “cutesy” about it, making them actual measurements. A “pinch” can be a “dash” can be a “tad” can be a “sprinkle,” etc.

Love to see a smoot in a recipe sometime: Smoot - Wikipedia

My dad had an old US Army issue cookbook that called for 100 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cut and boiled for potato salad.

That’d be tough. Units of length don’t show up in recipes very often. When they do it’s usually something like “grease a 9” x 13" cake pan". A smoot x smoot-and-a-half would make for one big cake.

When my curling club hosts tournaments we cook for all the participants; sometimes that means multiplying recipes by 30 or more. I remember starting once with “brown 70 pounds of ground beef”.

My sister and I laugh about a recipe we inherited that calls for a “39-cent container of Cool Whip.”

I saw one that called for 3/4 of a medium onion. Why not one small onion, or half of a large onion?

(a) that’s not coleslaw, it’s cabbage candy

(b) overdo the boiling and it’s cabbage taffy/toffee

There’s a phrase over here: Salad dodger. It implies overweight through unhealthy eating. Just in case you ever need to know and make the assumption that it means exactly the reverse. :slight_smile:

j