Most utterly bizarre cover version

While not really a cover, one interesting rendition I was lucky to see was Jimmy Durante and Walter Brennan singing “Ob-La-Di.”

On Dr. Demento once, I heard someone do a country and western version of “Purple Rain.” Darned if I know who did it, though.

Here’s William Shatner doing a cover of Elton John’s “Rocket Man”. It’s so awful that I’ve never been able to watch it for more than a few seconds, and I’ve never seen the ending.

This is Sweden’s most famous Elvis impersonator, Eilart Pilarm, singing “Hound Dog.” This guy is to Elvis impersonation what “Plan 9 from Outer Space” is to bad movies. Really, his version of “Blue Suede Shoes” is even worse, but I haven’t found a copy on the web yet.

I double-dog dare anybody to top those.

Enjoy.

So that’s where the Family Guy skit comes from!

The Gourds, a Texas rockabilly band, covering “Gin and Juice”

It may not be the absolute strangest, but Biffy Clyro’s version of Weezer’s “Buddy Holly” is pretty odd. I have it on a Kerrang! compilation CD.

Last month’s thread on this subject
My post in that thread nominated “Baby Got Back” by Jonathon Coulton and “Too Drunk to Fuck” by Nouvelle Vague, which have been mentioned by others in this thread.

If you enjoyed that, the try Andy McKee’s cover of the Toto classic Africa.

One real headscratcher for me was Cornershop performing “Norwegian Wood” in Punjabi. Really doesn’t scan…

The best part is that he doesn’t speak a word of english, so he’s just singing the lyrics as they sound to him. :smiley:

Just found this on YouTube: Nirvana covering Seasons in the Sun with Cobain on drums, Grohl on bass, and Novoselic on guitar.

Fixed Link

Well if they kept the strings and added some beats, it might sound actually quite good. But you’re saying the lyrics didn’t fit?

Well.

I just discovered this cover version of Gimme Hope Joanna by a Turkish band called Dolapdere Big Gang. It’s… different, shall we say?

Original

David Bowie, during the concert for New York City coverd America by Simon and Garfunkel.

It was weird. Really really wierd.

Well if you’re counting stuff that was live, I have an MP3 somewhere of REM doing “I Will Survive” live and totally forgetting the words and goofing off. :smiley:

I think I have that same MP3. Stipe makes a comment that I interpret as meaning that they had recently seen Cake perform their version.