Motorcycle claxon?

I got an e-mail from a guy looking for “a small bike size claxon horn” to fit to his Honda NT650V Deauville. I’m not familiar with claxons for motorcycles; the only ones I see are in old movies when naval vessels go to general quarters. What is a claxon for motorcycles? Is it a specific type of motorcycle horn; or is it Australian for a different kind of horn? Where are they sold (link)?

AFAIK, it’s just another term for a horn these days. Actually, it was originally a trade name for a particular kind of loud horn, but now the name has gone the way of the kleenex and is mostly used as a generic for any loud electromechanical horn. The more usual spelling is klaxon, which may help you find what you’re looking for more easily.

Yep. And funny enough, anyone who took French I may remember the verb klaxonner — to beep a carhorn.

I thought “claxon” was the generic name and “Klaxon” was the specific brand name. I took your suggestion and found this page that includes a klaxon and a .wav link.

I always thought that a Klaxon was one of those ah-oo-ga type horns that the old-time cars had.

This is possible. I have seen the spelling claxon, but far less often than klaxon. Interestingly, the owner of the trade name, Klaxon Sgnals is still in business.