Motorcycle driver: they are called BUS LANES for a reason!

In other words, the rules don’t apply to you.

Ever wonder why so many motorcyclists get killed? Ever wonder why the majority of sensible cyclists get tarred with the “idiot” brush. It is because of people like you.

Us car drivers end up having to spend a large amount of our concentration trying to track the erratic movements of riders like you. Are you surprised that it doesn’t always end well?

As with everything. Just because you “can” doesn’t mean you “should”

The motorcycle did not cause the collision, for regardless of whether or not the motorcyclist had been there, there still would have been the collision, and there still would have been 52 injured bus occupants.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/24/2011-02-24_lincoln_tunnel_accident_caused_by_motorcycle_crash_with_three_buses_snarls_morni.html
“The motorcyclist was riding between two of the buses, the NYPD source said. When the first bus stopped for traffic, the second bus slammed the motorcyclist from behind, pinning him against the first bus, the source said.”

Can’t deny that, but there would have been one less hurt motorcyclist. Who shouldn’t have been in that lane.

If you’re in a low-visibility vehicle, drive like you’re worth 500 points and a free slurpee to the guy that hits you. This counts for a Porsche Spyder, a Smart Car, a Mini, an old Civic, or a motorcycle.

And low-visibility is relative. My ton and a half car was low visibility yesterday to a white van with ladders all over it, who tried to merge into me in traffic for no reason. Be. Aware.

Don’t look now but I think you and Finn have been whooshed.

Does it count as a whoosh if it is indistinguishable from the standard apologetics? That hardly seems fair.

It’s a pretty obvious sarcastic response to

it may be lots of things, but obviously sarcastic it ain’t

Try recalibrating your sarcas-o-meter. :slight_smile:

Or, in this instance, a city bus.

Motorcyclists don’t generally get killed because of their mistakes. The average motorcycle rider is hyper aware of his surroundings because people in cars can’t be bothered to pay attention.
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Most-Common-and-Serious-Causes-of-Motorcycle-Accidents&id=3450223

Which should be safer – driving or riding in a less congested lane in which the other drivers are professional drivers, or driving or riding in a more congested lane in which the other drivers are mostly not professional drivers? Note that I am not asking about the legalities – I am asking about the relative safety of the lanes.

Well, the congested lane full of non-professional drivers, a car/motorcycle is expected. It is unexpected in a bus lane. That alone makes it more dangerous. Also remember that “professional drivers” may not necessarily be better drivers or even more experienced.

And in this case, they’re driving buses which aren’t the most agile or quick-to-stop vehicles on the road.

If you, as a motorist or cyclist are driving or riding in a way that makes it difficult for those around you to be aware of your presence or anticipate your actions…you are partly responsible for whatever befalls you.

Indeed he should be commended for using his bike and body as shock absorbers, reducing the impact to the bus passengers.

And if you just happen to have the ill-fortune to be between Bus A and Bus B when Bus A stops and Bus B doesn’t notice that Bus A has stopped right in front of him…what then?

You are unlucky.

You should be aware that a professional driver, in this case, equates to Ralph Kramden.
And you should be prepared and able to scoot out of the way. Generally, this involves leaving extra space in front of you with an eye towards dodging to the right or left if possible. Given a motorcycle, it is often more possible than it is with a car.

And yes, I drive like this in real life, whenever possible. It’s saved my ass a few times. Most recently, the aforementioned other day with the van covered with ladders.

You are 100% at fault in these situations, not partly.

Yes I do filter through traffic and have done for many many years with two close calls that were my fault. In the years that I have ridden I have had many instances of cars opening doors in my path, cars cutting me off, cars tailgating me and even been forced off the road. These are partly the reasons I ride to suit the environment and yes filtering etc is IMO a safe way to ride.

If the rules looked after my safety, I would adhere to the rules.

I’m confused. Which rules don’t look after your safety?
There are rules against tailgating, open doors without looking, cutting people off etc.
Surely those are all designed for the safety of all road users.