Mount Everest

Since the Indian peninsula or sub-continent began slamming into Asia millions of years ago, the Himalayan mountains have be continually thrust upward. Using that logic, wouldn’t it be safe to say that every new person to summit Everest has the right to say (even if only for a moment) that they have summitted higher than anyone else before?

Erosion

<blink>WAG ALERT!! WAG ALERT!! WAG ALERT!! WAG ALERT!!</blink>

I would guess no, because I don’t think Mt. Everest (or any mountain) grows steadilly or even consistantly over time, but only when shifts occour (i.e. earthquakes) in the plates.

Even if that is wrong, there is no guarantee that Everest is growing, as it could be shrinking even…

Yer pal,
Satan

Which mountain is in second place? Any chance it might catch up and overtake Everest?

And what about the snow and ice on top?

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

K2’s summit is about 800 feet lower than Everest’s IIRC.

However, what I don’t know is how high the plain is in the K2 vicinity. Conceivably, if it’s on a lower plain (Everest’s is something like a 18,000–another IIRC), it could be a longer climb to the top.

K2 was first scaled about a year after Hillary (Hilary?) climbed “E1”–by some Italian guys whose names I don’t remember.

Guess there wasn’t any big hurry to climb the 2nd highest peak.

Sir Edmund Hillary was the dude who dood it to Everest, New Zealander extraordinaire.

Anyhoo, why the heck is K2 called K2? Is it because, when it was named, they knew unequivocally that it was second in line in the height statistics?

“Waheeey! ‘Duck!’ Get it?”
“Errr… No…”
“Duck! Sounds almost exactly like fu-”

EB:

“The world ends when I die. And as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the universe might as well call it a day too.” – Matt Groening

When I climb Everest, I’ll lug up a few sacks of dirt. . .and maybe a telescoping flagpole I can sit on. That’s bound to beat the height record.

Ray (no more uppers tonight)

oh great, Ray! Now I have this vision of hundreds of Nepalese climbing up Everest with barrows and buckets of earth just to make sure the English call it a mountain…

I saw a special on TLC a while ago involving an Everest expedition. I didn’t realize at the time that the last run to the summit is littered with dead bodies. If you die up there, there’s really no way to get you down, and since it’s cold you’re going to freeze and stay in pretty good shape. So these guys are climbing, and say things like, “We knew we were getting close, because we came across Joe’s body, and he died five years ago on our last expedition”.

Some other guys got stranded at a camp at a high altitude, and had to go out and pilfer oxygen bottles that are also strewn around everyone, along with the dead bodies.

I found it all a bit creepy.

More on the bodies on Everest: I just received my copy of “Ghosts of Everest”, which is a book about the expedition in May, 1999, which discovered George Mallory’s body. Mallory’s body has been up there since 1924 and there are some extremely graphic pictures. It’s creepy because his body is just frozen–the shirt has been torn off his back and you can see his arms and hands with the fingers digging into the gravel. You can also see that his right leg is broken. Anyway . . .

KSO, the guy who discovered the body did an artical for National Geographic. It was very cool. not as many great pictures, though, I’m sure.

I’d also recommend Into Thin Air by John Krakauer. He was one of the surviving climbers on the peak in those two days in 1996 when eight people from 4 different expeditions died attempting the summit. The Omnimax film Everest was being shot during those events. (DON’T see this movie if you’ve a fear of heights!)

The last run up to the summit (the run above the Hillary step) is not “littered with dead bodies.” It is a knife-edged ridge and people are far more often “last seen” there.

Btw, bringing down exhausted oxygen bottles is a popular source of extra dough for the Sherpas and others who frequent the environs. The bottles strewn about number in the thousands, and Friends of Everest and other organizations pay a bounty for each bottle returned.

[Note: This message has been edited by Nickrz]