Mournful Bluegrass Songs

The Louvin Brothers’ The Angels Rejoiced is a tear-jerker about a family whose Daddy who wouldn’t go to church and spent his nights “out with the gamblin’ crowd.” Then Mama dies, and “The angels rejoiced in heaven that night,” when the kids see Daddy on his knees, praying, “Dear Lord, make it right.” Jeez, I’m all dewy-eyed just hearing Nicolette Larson singing in my head.

The Del McCoury Band does a “she left me” number called My Suffroney. The singer had been a love 'em and leave 'em guy, “Till my Suffroney left me so lonely, now I’m just a hotshot with a teardrop in my eye.”

Good thread. When you said “dark old-timey songs,” I immediately thought of Dock Boggs’s Country Blues: Complete Early Recordings, which I see one of the posters recommended. Stuff like “Country Blues,” “Red Rocking Chair,” etc., sound like just what you want. FWIW, I like Doc Watson’s version of the song “Country Blues” better than Dock Boggs’s–Doc Watson’s is on this album, a brilliant album which any fan of old-time music should own. “Country Blues” is one of the most haunting songs I know.

Thought Y’all on this thread might like to know:

Ralph Stanley had triple bypass heart surgery on Monday. His guitarist posted to a list I’m on and said he came through well, should be home soon. Oh Death, ya just gotta wait…

Have good thoughts and prayers for The Grandad of Bluegrass, though, for his recovery.

I really love that he’s had good mainstream recognition since O Brother.