Mouthbreathers

“Mouthbreather” is something of an insult, but it seems to have a basis in reality. I saw a young guy, late teens, today who was a literal mouthbreather, he was standing there with his mouth agape, lower lip protruding. I have no idea of his actual intellectual level, but he looked like he was stupid simply because he was a mouthbreather, which even as I was looking at him I thought was unfair of me to cast judgement on such little evidence.

I have known people of all levels of intelligence, from literal cretins and the extremely stupid, to those who struggled academically probably from dyslexia or ADD (undiagnosed in my era), to people of average to higher intelligence, of which I am part, all the way up to very intelligent people indeed (though I don’t think I’ve ever known a genius or savant). None of these people were literal mouthbreathers.

Is there anything to the “mouthbreather = stupid” connection? Whatever the case, why are people mouthbreathers, what causes them to do that with their mouths? It can’t be very comfortable to have their mouth exposed to the air all the time.

Next time: People who chew with their mouths open.

Sinus troubles?

Edit: By which I mean chronic sinus troubles such that they can’t effectively breath through their nose. I used to have a friend in high school who was a mouth breather for this reason.

Till, say, my twenties, it was more comfortable to me to breath by my mouth than my nose. For unkwnown reasons, I didn’t know how to blow my nose till my teen years, then I learned how to blow my nose, but it’s like my nose is always mostly blocked. I can blow my nose, nothing comes out, but my nose is still blocked. If I inspire strongly through my nose, the usual set up is my left nostril barely move at all, and the right one is like operational at two-third.
I had various exams but all seem fine inside my nose.

All that to say I breathed through my mouth for the longest time because I can take biggest breathes than through my nose. Now most of the time I breath through my nose, because I know it is seen proper, but when alone or distracted I reverse to mouth breathing.

I was like this. It sucked.

Yes, I have chronic sinus blockage, and there are times when I must breathe through my mouth. My IQ doesn’t plummet at these times.

I notice that when I’m asleep, I tend to get a stuffy nose and breath through my mouth. I also tend not to think as hard and rarely come up with genius insights into life, the universe, and everything.

So there’s your correlation.

Ba-dum- CSH!!

I had a wonky nasal septum and chronic sinusitis until I had surgery in my twenties, so I ended up breathing through my mouth a lot, because I wasn’t getting enough air through my nose.

Even now, my nose blocks up a lot and I find myself needing to supplement my air intake by opening my mouth a little. Not to mention that 20+ years of habit have taken hold. I don’t stand around slack-jawed and gasping, but my mouth is often a little bit open. I realize it’s frowned upon in general, and breathing through the nose is the “right way”, so I make a conscious effort to keep my mouth shut, but if I’m not getting enough air, screw it.

Maybe that’s why I talk so much - breathing through the mouth isn’t as noticeable when you’re yammering on and on. :slight_smile:

I was a mouth breather until I had my septum fixed and my turbinates reduced.

I think the term “mouthbreather” may have to do with the fact that some mental retardations (Downs is the obvious one) have physical deformities which lead to those suffering not being able to properly close their mouth. Downs can lead to an enlarged tongue which doesn’t allow someone to properly close their mouth.