Move to Indonesia, bad idea?

So a buddy of mine has been offered a position with a multinational oil company, and it requires a move to Jakarta, Indonesia.

Now while it might be a wonderful oppertunity work wise, but there is this nagging voice in the back of my head that says that this might not be the best idea ever hatched. Something about oil company sponsored death squads and Muslim jihadists. Am I imagining things and thinking of somewhere else, or is it a bad idea for an American couple to go and work for British Petrol in Indonesia? Is it a safe place to be, or is it you live in the company compound surrounded by bodyguards kind of a thing. There’s just this nagging doubt…Any opinions or experiances would be warmly welcomed.

My sister and her family have lived in Jakarta for about 10 years now. They love it. They are both teachers and on their salary they have a beautiful house, two nannies, a driver, and some kitchen staff. They vacation in Bali and Singapore and Phuket.

The school they work at and their kids attend is well guarded and has never had an incident.

It is not the safest place in the world for an American, but precautions are taken and you are quite safe. On an oil companies payroll, your friends would probably live a similar life to my sister, and they should be quite safe.

Then again, for a combination of terrorism, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, etc. Indonesia takes first place.