Movie actors who don't belong there

It’s hard to watch From Here to Eternity without thinking “Superman!” whenever George Reeves shows up (Oddly, you don’t get the same thought with Gone With the Wind).

I hate to break it to you, but that was the guy sitting behind you.

You didn’t see Danson in Band of Brothers because he wasn’t in it. He had one scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Actually, I didn’t “Malone” him when I saw that. I found him fully plausible in his (small) role. It’s just the voice that’s so associated with Sam.

Not to mention his superb work in The Thin Blue Line (and Not The Nine O’Clock News, where he prototyped his characters; even Blackadder is just a variant on Gerald the Gorilla and the cynical priest by turns.)

acsenray: minor pedant, Donnie Wahlberg is Mark Wahlberg’s older brother, not younger. There’s only two years in it, though.

Personally, I always thought Rikki made rather a good evil KGB boss. On the other hand:

Absolutely. When he bounced into Indecent Proposal and declared “Hi, I’m Billy Connolly”, my instinctive reaction was “And what the f*** are you doing in the same film as Robert Redford.”

Actually I would think the ultimate would be Keanu Reaves a la “Bill and Ted”.

Unless I am wrong, he wasn’t SUPPOSED to be a dumb kid in “The Matrix” but that’s what I saw :slight_smile:

Yep, me too. “Come back here, Mrs. Kiveet!” I guess that’s better than always seeing him as the boyfriend from “My Two Dads,” though. And it’s funny that Jack Black didn’t get as typecast from that same episode.

For Ron Livingstone, I don’t see him as the guy from Office Space, but the guy from Swingers. He got turned down for Goofy.

And anybody from “Buffy” I will always see as their “Buffy” character and nothing else.

Not Amber Benson, you wouldn’t. I’ve met her, and she couldn’t be less like Tara - she doesn’t even look much like her. I may hate the character, but maximum points awarded for the acting job.

No matter how hard I try, I can’t separate Thomas Haden Church from Wings.

I remember watching Tombstone and wondering what the hell Lowell was doing with the Clantons.

And why is he running around the jungle shouting “Ursla!”?

David Caruso.

I didn’t even watch much NYPD back then but he’s still a “TV GUY” to me.

While we’re at it, Jimmy Smits is a TV guy to me, too. They both look too wimpy to be in the movies.

Ed O’Neill, I’ve liked in movies, and loved him on MWC. I like that movie Dutch. He was recently in Spartan IIRC, and was good, too.

Jeff Daniels. Dumb and Dumber ruined his chances of ever doing anything serious.

I would’ve thought that the fact that every time someone sees Elrond they’re waiting for him to say “Mr An-der-son” would’ve been mentioned.

I knew a guy who came up with this pseudoquote, referencing The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert:

“Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of my skirt swishing. That is the sound of my heels.”

when the cross dressing brother from The Drew Carey Show showed up in Gothika I couldn’t get over it.

It was worse in Dracula.

“The Terror”.

Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson.

'Nuff said.

I will always see him as the son of a fellow student in pottery class. ('Cause that’s who he is. His mom was in my pottery class while he was working on Davis Rules. She was a pretty good potter, too.)

I always see current big hottie Hugh Jackman as that boring guy that came on for a while to fill Guy Pierce’s place on Snowy River: The McGregor Saga. He was a rather bland, boring fellow (at least to me) and I was glad when Pierce came back and he left.

Which brings me to Guy Pierce, who will always be the guy from (you guessed it) Snowy River. And then there’s Joshua Lucas (Sweet Home Alabama, etc.) who will also always be tied to Snowy River.

And let’s start with the soap operas. I started watching soap operas from way back. I remember Meg Ryan when she was Betsy on As the World Turns. I remember Richard Dean Anderson and Demi Moore from General Hospital. Ally Walker (Profiler) was first on Santa Barbara (and pretty bad, as I recall) and The Pretender’s Michael T. Weiss was on Days of our Lives FOREVER. (So it seemed.) I could go on and on with the soap opera stuff. It’s scary, I’m tellin’ ya.

Years ago I saw a TV movie about Daniel (from the Bible) and they had cast Donny “Ralph Malph” Most in the title role. There was no way I could take him seriously in that! A major miscast!

I sort of feel sorry about Colm Meaney, who actually does seem like quite a good actor, so it’s kind of a shame that whenever I see him I reflexively think of the Star Trek TNG character he played for all those years. I see that he hasn’t given up yet, and is still gamely plugging away in the film industry, and that’s great. He must not have gotten the little talk that they surely give the Star Trek main cast actors after the contracts have been signed: “You’re ours now, so labor hard and well; for you will never be taken seriously for any more significant or dramatic roles, ever.”