Movie/TV actors that you'll always see as a particular character

Spinoff. Because, what the heck.

This will of course, again, be about your subjective experiences.

I’ll start:

Patrick Stewart is forever captain Jean-Luc Picard for me (which, as I mentioned in the other thread, can get confusing on a meta-level. Because of I, Claudius, I always picture the historical Sejanus as looking like Jean-Luc Picard).

Anthony Hopkins is of course Hannibal Lecter, no matter what movie he’s in.

For me, Brando was always Stanley Kowalski no matter how much he let himself go. That may well be that that was the first I saw of him with the possible exception of Terry Malloy which was basically Kowalski again.

Tom Selleck as Thomas Magnum. James Garner as Jim Rockford, or Bret Maverick, depending on your age. George Peppard as Hannibal Smith. Peter Falk as Columbo. Ricardo Montalban as KHANNNNNNN!

Kirk.

TJ Hooker was Kirk stuck on old Earth. Bros Karamozov was Kirk and Westworld stuck in older Earth.

L&O’s Logan, too.

Ed O’Neill will forever be Al Bundy!

(I never watched any Star Trek after the first one, so I’ll always think of Patrick Stewart as Sejanus. Plus, Hugh Laurie will always be the Prince Regent on Blackadder.)

“Plus, Hugh Laurie will always be the Prince Regent on Blackadder.”
To me, Hugh Laurie is forever Bertie Wooster.

Every time I see Mandy Patinkin in anything I can only hear him say "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. "

Which is just really really unfair of me, considering how talented he is.

We’re both guilty then. Even in Homeland I keep expecting him to bust out with that line!

And…the boy can sing!

Hugh Jackman is Wolverine. Always.

Wolverine as a singing cowboy.

Wolverine as a Victorian duke in NYC.

Wolverine as a leather-clad vampire slayer.

Wolverine as a taciturn cattle drover.

Wolverine, after all, gets around. Bub.

Spock

“My name is Jason Gideon, you killed my BAU team, prepare to die.”

Right. Since Wolverine ages so slowly and keeps losing his memory, it’s not even that much of a stretch that he would be bouncing around history under different names. Maybe.

I see certain actors as who they played on Oz.

“Hey look! It’s Adebisi.”
“Hey look! It’s Beecher.”
etc.

Nathan Fillion will always be Captain Malcolm Reynolds, not “Castle.”

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano.

A reviewer for the Onion’s AV Club said something about John Rhys-Davies being best known for Gimli in LotR. The reviewer was quickly mocked in the comment thread for not mentioning his other really big role of Sallah in Raiders (and Last Crusade) and then kept mentioning other roles he’d played. For this thread, I’d probably say his role as Sallah.

Depends on his weight. If he’s skinny, he’s Captain Tightpants. If he’s carryin’ a few pounds, he’s Castle.

Every time I see him I can hear him calling James Caan “Shithead.”

Kelsey Grammer will always be Frasier Crane. He was for twenty years straight, after all.

There are lots of actors this is true for, but perhaps also none. Calling actors by the name of a character they’ve portrayed is a “game” I play with a few people I know. Alternatively, you can just use the title of the work they appear in. Hugo Weaving is almost always “Agent Smith”. Sam Neil is “Jurassic Park”. It’s even more fun to deliberately pick something less obvious that doesn’t even seem to make sense - Bryan Cranston is always “Malcolm in the Middle”, for example.

However, when I’m actually seriously watching a film or TV show, it will be relatively easy to temporarily forget that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be torturing prostitutes and eating Hershey bars.

I always call him Sideshow Bob.