Movie Marathon (Part 4)

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.
  6. Dead Poets Society - I was nine years old when I saw it in the theater with parents. It was a big eye opener to me about the extent to which parents and teachers can exercise control over minors. Seeing it was a major step in my growing up to be a children and youth rights activist.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.
  6. Dead Poets Society - I was nine years old when I saw it in the theater with parents. It was a big eye opener to me about the extent to which parents and teachers can exercise control over minors. Seeing it was a major step in my growing up to be a children and youth rights activist.
  7. Hamnet - Made me extremely emotional beyond my ability to handle. I went into the psych hospital a couple days after seeing it.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.
  6. Dead Poets Society - I was nine years old when I saw it in the theater with parents. It was a big eye opener to me about the extent to which parents and teachers can exercise control over minors. Seeing it was a major step in my growing up to be a children and youth rights activist.
  7. Hamnet - Made me extremely emotional beyond my ability to handle. I went into the psych hospital a couple days after seeing it.
  8. The Stunt Man - I was on a two-week canoe trip at a bible camp and when we got back to camp, one of the counselors rented this for us to watch. After 10 days of singing songs about God and reading the bible, we watched this darkly funny and odd story about a fugitive who hides out on a movie set. And there were boobs. And some of us fell asleep watching, so we watched it again the next day, with younger camp kids in the area.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.
  6. Dead Poets Society - I was nine years old when I saw it in the theater with parents. It was a big eye opener to me about the extent to which parents and teachers can exercise control over minors. Seeing it was a major step in my growing up to be a children and youth rights activist.
  7. Hamnet - Made me extremely emotional beyond my ability to handle. I went into the psych hospital a couple days after seeing it.
  8. The Stunt Man - I was on a two-week canoe trip at a bible camp and when we got back to camp, one of the counselors rented this for us to watch. After 10 days of singing songs about God and reading the bible, we watched this darkly funny and odd story about a fugitive who hides out on a movie set. And there were boobs. And some of us fell asleep watching, so we watched it again the next day, with younger camp kids in the area.
  9. Basic Instinct - I saw part of the opening scene when I was in fifth grade, on a school field trip to Washington DC, in our hotel room. I choked on my Mr. Goodbar when I saw someone’s bare butt, and my chaperone needed to perform the Heimlich on me. Very inappropriately, he continued to watch the movie, but with the TV turned into the corner so that only he could see it.

Films of any genre you went into knowing nothing about, but they made an impact on you.

  1. Return of the Secaucus 7 – Started following John Sayles career-- also learned how reified the Boomers were (I was only about 16 when I saw it in maybe 1983).
  2. The Mummy (1999) – I got dragged into seeing it in the theater, by my wife and her friend; I was under the impression that it was a straight-up horror film. When it turned out to be an action-adventure film, with a lot of comedy and wit, I was instantly sucked in; it’s still one of my favorite films, and Rachel Weisz became one of my celebrity crushes.
  3. “Why You Crying?” - a 2004 comedy concert film of George Lopez. I watched it on Showtime and I laughed harder than I’d ever laughed before. No other movie or concert has made me laugh as much as I did then. I’m not Hispanic but a lot of his bits were what I’d experienced as a youngster.
  4. The Big Sick - I don’t normally care for rom-coms, but the story of Kumal’s culture and Emily’s illness really elevated what could have been a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy. I only watched it because I was at MammaHomie’s house and she insisted that Mrs. H and I watch it.
  5. Brazil - My parents took me to it when I was in high school. Had no idea what the film was about. Maybe a rom-com set in Brazil? I quickly realized that it wasn’t that, but was totally unprepared for the ending which left me shaken.
  6. Dead Poets Society - I was nine years old when I saw it in the theater with parents. It was a big eye opener to me about the extent to which parents and teachers can exercise control over minors. Seeing it was a major step in my growing up to be a children and youth rights activist.
  7. Hamnet - Made me extremely emotional beyond my ability to handle. I went into the psych hospital a couple days after seeing it.
  8. The Stunt Man - I was on a two-week canoe trip at a bible camp and when we got back to camp, one of the counselors rented this for us to watch. After 10 days of singing songs about God and reading the bible, we watched this darkly funny and odd story about a fugitive who hides out on a movie set. And there were boobs. And some of us fell asleep watching, so we watched it again the next day, with younger camp kids in the area.
  9. Basic Instinct - I saw part of the opening scene when I was in fifth grade, on a school field trip to Washington DC, in our hotel room. I choked on my Mr. Goodbar when I saw someone’s bare butt, and my chaperone needed to perform the Heimlich on me. Very inappropriately, he continued to watch the movie, but with the TV turned into the corner so that only he could see it.
  10. Pay It Forward - I was channel surfing and ran across this film starring Helen Hunt and Angie Dickinson. It was so heart-breaking and I’ll never forget it. I try to pay forward as many blessings I can, even just handouts to homeless people.

pass

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)
  6. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)
  6. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  7. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)

-“BB”-

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)
  6. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  7. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)
  8. The Pelican Brief (1993)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)
  6. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  7. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)
  8. The Pelican Brief (1993)
  9. Cocaine Bear (2023)

An Animal In The Title

  1. The Mosquito Coast (1986)
  2. The Bad News Bears (1976)
  3. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
  4. Duck Soup (1933)
  5. Snakes on a Plane (2006)
  6. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
  7. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)
  8. The Pelican Brief (1993)
  9. Cocaine Bear (2023)
  10. Birdman (2014)

Titles with feminine names included

  1. Sofie’s Choice

Titles with feminine names included

  1. Sofie’s Choice
  2. A Fish Called Wanda