Movie recommendations, bring the funny

Nuts in May

Little Miss Sunshine (2006). The running gag with the VW bus had me howling.

Came here to recommend this one. Was going to link the trailer but Mahaloth is right, better go in blind.

I still use “it’s made from monkey cum you know?” every time i see my brother eating something.

Some Like it Hot is still funny after 60 years
[Young Frankenstein IMHO one of the top five comedies ever produced. Gene Hackman as the Blind Monk was almost completely ad libbed and stands out as maybe the funniest five minutes ever filmed
Blazing Saddles Mel Brooks at his funniest, also in my top five. Sheriff Bart meeting the Waco kid for the first time a close runner up to Hackman as the Blind Monk

Bart: “The drunk in number five is awake!” He finds the Waco Kid hanging by his knees from the top bunk

Bart: “Are we awake?”
Waco Kid: “We’re not sure. Are we…Black?”
Bart: “Yes, we are.”
Waco Kid: “Then we’re awake but we’re very puzzled…”

If you like political comedy, try

Children of the Revolution (the 1996 Australian comedy, not the 2002 Swazi documentary or the 2010 Irish documentary)

or Ninotchka

If you like really really dark comedy I recommend the movie Otis. It’s not going to be on too many peoples radar but it is a keeper.

An overlooked gem: Waking Ned Devine. Sweetly charming, not laugh-out-loud funny, but plenty of hearty-guffaw moments.

On a darker note: Netflix’s War On Everyone. It’s like Jerry Seinfeld and Quentin Tarantino sat down together to bang out a Lethal Weapon-esque dirty cop story. The dirty cops (Michael Pena, Alexander Skarsgard) are the protagonists.

You might look at older screwball comedies:

For example:
Bringing Up Baby:

Nothing Sacred:

His Girl Friday:

For dark comedy I always liked Eating Raoul.

Flirting with Disaster (1996). Early ensemble comedy by David O. Russell (*Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, *etc.).

The Emperor’s New Groove is just about the funniest movie I’ve ever seen - it’s well up there with Blazing Saddles.

Very silly, cheerfully anachronistic, and laugh-out-loud good.

Rat Race is a remake of *Scavenger Hunt *which I found funny. Well, some years ago anyway. For amusing westerns there’s always The Hallelujah Trail, The Cheyenne Social Club and Cat Ballou. Lee Marvin is great in the latter but the drunken horse is my favorite part.

The Frisco Kid, with Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder is VERY funny, and has some touching moments too.

I don’t know if you have a taste for silent films, as I do. But if you will give it a shot, then Buster Keaton’s Seven Chances is fantastic. Keaton is a guy whose business is failing, then he finds out that he’ll inherit a huge fortune from his grandfather if he marries by his 27th birthday, which is TODAY. If that plot sounds familiar it was remade with Chris O’Donnell as The Bachelor. Take my word for it, the silent film is better.

Just thought of a comedy duo that I remember enjoying and will take a look to see how they’ve stood the test of time-- Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. I remember laughing stupidly over Silver Streak and Stir Crazy but damned if I can remember a single thing about the actual movies themselves.

Thinking of Gene and Richard brought up a movie I remember and still find very funny: Trading Places. And Eddie and Dan remind me of another movie I laughed very hard at: Beverly Hills Cop. But I only came up with BHC because I was thinking of Eddie teamed up with another white guy, Nick Nolte. 48 Hrs. made me laugh but I’m not sure I’d call it a comedy.

Totally on a tangent, 40 Year Old Virgin is the funniest movie ever.

“It happened one night” is a good one.

Bad (1977) - Bad (1977) - IMDb

“Hazel runs a beauty salon out of her house, but makes extra money by providing ruthless women to do hit jobs.”
Forbidden Zone (1980) - Forbidden Zone (1980) - IMDb

“The bizarre and musical tale of a girl who travels to another dimension through the gateway found in her family’s basement.”
SLC Punk! (1998) - SLC Punk! (1998) - IMDb

"In the early 1980s Stevo and Heroin Bob are the only two dedicated punks in conservative Salt Lake City. "
Snatch (2000) - Snatch (2000) - IMDb

“Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster, incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to track down a priceless stolen diamond.”
Amelie (2001) - Amélie (2001) - IMDb

“Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love.”
Crime Spree (2003) - Crime Spree (2003) - IMDb

“A French gang of thieves flies over to Chicago for a one time job. However, things seem to get out of hand soon.”
Kamikaze Girls (2004) - Kamikaze Girls (2004) - IMDb

Japanese girl obsessed with Rococo forms an unlikely friendship with a rebel biker girl.

This is my all-time favorite movie.
And speaking of screwball comedies, you can’t go wrong withe the pairing of Irene Dunne and Cary Grant in two wonderful movies, The Awful Truth, and My Favorite Wife.

If your answer to subtitles was “OK!” then try Women of the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. It’s hysterically funny, and you will get to see Antonio Banderas when he was still making movies in Spain. He plays kind of a geeky character, before Hollywood tried to remake him into a Latin sex symbol.

If you have not seen Victor/Victoria, you should see this. It’s very, very funny. When you watch it, try to bear in mind that it was made in 1982. It was far ahead of its time.

Not a movie, but if you want something that will make you laugh, and you happen to have missed it, see the TV show Absolutely Fabulous.

World’s End

Ruthless People.

“This might be the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Perhaps we should shoot him.”