Movie Romances You Found Extremely Disturbing (though they weren't supposed to be)

Any yet, many women get senimental and teery-eyed about it, as if it is some kind off modern-day fairy tale. Ugh.

Worse yet is the gender-bender version of Big entitled 13 Going On 30, which features a 30 year old woman (who thinks she’s 13) trying to hit on young boys.

About Jaws: The Revenge: “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.” In the tradition of British actors, he’ll do anything for a paycheck.

Stranger

I never liked Entrapment .

The whole romance between Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones just bothered me.

Yuck.

Of course, she went on to marry Michael Douglas, who at least is 14 years younger than Sean.

This is borderline heresy: Bogart and Bacall, no matter the situation. For that matter, anybody and Bogart.

In retrospect, Rock Hudson and a female.

You’re setting the bar pretty high, aren’t you? The opening of Dr. Strangelove is one of the greatest sex scenes of all time.

The three I thought of first have already been mentiond:

The Piano: the first one that came to mind. I am still appalled every time I hear anyone, but especially a woman, say how “romantic” (omigod BARF) this movie is. It’s revolting. This woman has had one thing in her entire shitty joyless life that made her happy and a weirdo man takes it and won’t return it unless she fucks him. I was completely disgusted by the whole thing, and more so by its reception and the awards heaped upon it.

Clueless: Cher was way too young for that guy, and even though they aren’t related, they have a brother/sister relationship. Doesn’t matter that he’s away at college a lot.

Pretty Woman: it’s an entertaining flick but total suspension of disbelief is required. She’s a Hollywood Boulevard streetwalker and gets all offended when her trick doesn’t treat her like Princess Grace. Then he somehow falls in love with her. Never made sense to me.

Demi Moore played his daughter. Caine’s character falls for her best friend played by Michelle Williams.

Michelle Johnson . Michelle Williams was probably still in diapers. :smack:

You’ve Got Mail is one I particularly hated. HE’S A SLEAZEBAG STALKER! He’s rich from inheritance, actively works to drive her out of business from a shop she loves, then uses “insider knowledge” to get into her heart/pants ala Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and then comes to take her away, and her reaction upon learning she’s been played like a $10 guitar? “Oooh… my hero!”
If his character had been played by Ethan Supplee or Christopher Walken instead of Tom Hanks it would be a thriller that would end up with audiences cheering when she guns him down in a bodega. Instead he ends up with the girl (and probably goes on to have lots of cyber sex with other women and hiding it from Meg Ryan).

I wasn’t aware of the origins of Pretty Woman. Before it was Marshalled up, I guess it had potential. I really don’t mind when the movie acknowledges how yucky the romance is, but when they try to turn something like this into a Cinderella fantasy, I get a little disgusted.

Does it make it less or more disturbing that they got married IRL?

Oldboy

A guy in his early 40’s gets out of prison after 15 years, and then hooks up with this college girl, not realizing at first that she’s his daughter.

That was intentionally disturbing: it was the big horrifying twist at the end. So doesn’t exactly fit in this thread (from the title “they weren’t supposed to be [disturbing].”

It doesn’t even factor in. Bogie makes me squirm unless he’s killing somebody. It’s like he’s slobbering whenever he speaks. I just see drool in any close encounters and regardless of Betty’s choice to hook up with him in real lfe, he’s still unnerving to me.

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who was creeped out by that.

Well, but Clueless was based on Emma, where the title character grows up with Mr Knightley, who is a kind of older brother figure who has always hung around her house, and finally realizes she wants to marry him. I guess the original story is less creepy in context of its society.

Yes, he returned to romance Kristen Scott Thomas in “The Horse Whisperer”. (pukey smilie) I already hated her from the sickening romance in “The English Patient” (I’m a sucker for romance but I hated her and Ralph Fiennes in that) so THW took the cake.

I saw a production of Bye Bye Birdie last year and at the end I was squirming in my seat thinking “I don’t remember it being this creepy.”

Not really a plot point in the movie, but in I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, Clive Owen
is supposed to be the former boyfriend of Charlotte Rampling. Now don’t get me wrong, she was unbelievably hot back in the day, but that day was the mid-60’s, probably before Clive was born.

Ditto any Woody Allen movie, where that sick f%@k cons unsuspecting hotties to make out with him each film, suckering them with the notion that it’s an “honor” to be in one of his films.

Would Birth count? The romance never happened, but it was an icky idea, I thought.

Short-lived love triangle between a teenage girl, her boyfriend, and the not-much-older rock star she idolizes? What’s creepy?