movies containing maps

The title sequence of the 1980s version of Repo Man

Did those originate with Indiana Jones movies? I always assumed they were a nod to a device in much older films.

I know I’ve seen the device in older films, but I can’t think of any beyond the ones named.

A note on the “computer-generated” contour maps in Megaforce, a supremely and wonderfully bad film.
What’s interesting is that, when the film was made, they actually built a model, which was filmed and composited in as a 3D computer projection (like the “hologram” of Princess Leia in Star Wars), but nowadays it’d be easier to simply generate it via CGI than going to all that trouble.

The Emperor’s New Groove made a joke of the dotted line on a map trope. The two groups were chasing each other and the map showed the pursuit by a line of footprints. One of the characters saw this on the map and then looked behind them and saw they were in fact leaving a line of red footprints in their path.

They did the same thing in Escape From New York. This shot of what was supposed to be a computer map of Manhattan was actually a model. In 1981 it was cheaper to film a model then it would have been to make an actual computer simulation.

During the first and final scenes of Forbidden Planet, Jadway and the crew are using that cool three-dimensional model of the ship in space, but there’s clearly an old-fashioned map spread out on the desk.

Bonus: at the very end, Robbie the Robot becomes the ship’s “astro-navigator.”

“Baja? I don’t own anything in Baja!”

Also from the Bondiverse:

The Spy Who Loved Me had the big electronic map on the bridge of the supertanker showing the locations of the submarines.
OHMSS–Blofeld’s map showing the locations for distibuting the bio-weapons.

The Mummy has the map to Hamunaptra. Until it gets burned by the Medjai at the museum and then they leave it behind on the burning boat any way.

Evelyn, “Oh no, the map!”
Rick, grabbing her, “I’m the map.”

The Way shows the Camino de Santiago path.

Mentioned way back in post #13.

Damnit, I was going to mention the Goonies too.

X-Men: First Class has an incidental map,

when X reads Frost’s and sees what Shaw’s plans are.

The same area of the world shows up a couple of times in different map forms later in the movie.

In Burt Lancaster’s The Train, a key plot point centers on the French Underground fooling German guards on a train as to the location and direction of the train by changing station signs, etc. There is a closeup of the map as a German officer marks the name of the first German town as they enter (he thinks) Germany, and then the camera quickly pans back across the map in closeup to show the name of the town near Paris where the train actually is located.

Where in the world is Camino de Santiago?*
*Cue Rockapella…

Yes I would be interested in TV shows