Movies: Style vs Substance

I have seen many movies that can be described as “Style over Substance” or “Substance over Style”.

Some of them have had incredibly beautiful style but very little in the way of substance. Others have been just the opposite.

One of the strongest examples is the film, “Marie Antoinette” (2006). It starred Kirsten Dunst, Jason Schwartzman and Rip Torn and was written and directed by Sophia Coppola.

I thought this film had wonderful style. From the opening scene, the music played was wonderful. I would love to know just who was the artist responsible for that music. It has always amazed me how the producer figured it was OK to play that modern rock music over a background of 18th century platial style.

The opening shot of the Austrian palace was magnificent and all the actors portrayed in Vienna delivered their lines in a masterful style.

However, the substance of this film was quite questionable - at least in my opinion. I could be wrong about this. But it just seemed to me that there was very little in the way of substance.

To be clear, I thorougly enjoyed this film - even though there was very little in the way of substance and IMHO, it was an excellent film, largely due to its wonderful style.

I wanted to ask how many of you feel that other movies also delivered a great deal of style but very little substance or vice versa. I would very much like to know just what films you have in mind and whether you feel they were mostly style or mostly substance.