movies that gave you the heeebie jeeebies/willies

Doh.

Arachnephobia, for me, nothing else comes anywhere close.

The Wicker Man always creeps me out. Don’t really know why…

That would be Arachnophobia

Funny Games.

Or if you prefer: Lustige Spiele

Ooh yes, The Ring and Session 9 definitely. Both have a wonderful creepy atmosphere that just gets under your skin. I think good horror movies tap into deeper psychological issues, and I doubt it’s an accident that I was so affected by these movies, which I saw just before and few months after becoming a parent, respectively.

I also think The Silence of the Lambs quickly built and maintained a general atmosphere of creepy impending doom, with occasional bursts of extra creepiness, like Starling’s walk down the hallway to meet Lechter.

“The Others.” I don’t know what I was afraid of, but I was afraid.

My husband still has finger imprints on his arm.

Julie

quiltguy154 said…

If you’re talking about the 1979 release, the sleepy little town where the film was shot on location (complete with multiple authentic hillside cemetaries) is back in my neck of the woods in Humboldt Co., California, The Victorian Village of Ferndale. I lived there through high school and half of college. I can assure you that the obliviousness was not an act. :smiley:

Outbreak and The Majestic were also filmed there.

The first movie to ever give me a straight case of the HeebieJeebies was A Clockwork Orange. So lasting is the impression that the mere thought of a mascaraed eye and a bowler hat make me shutter.
Funnily, another movie which disturbed me at first viewing is A Boy and his Dog Now, I see it as almost a comedy. A young Don Johnson is pretty easy on the eyes, and somehow hard to take so seriously now.

Hands down, its gotta be Blue Velvet. Dennis Hopper still gives me the creeps, based solely on his performance in this movie.

One Hour Photo - I still think about it every time I walk into a Wal-Mart and see the one hour photo sign. Robin was pretty creepy.

Silence of the Lambs - Between Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lector, this movie kept me nicely creeped out.

Recent thread on the subject.

Another vote for Jacob’s Ladder. There’s something about seeing such weird, horrific images, which are NOT part of a dream, and NOT meant to be in a horror film-type universe, but in the"real" world that really freaks me out something rotten.

There’s s a scene in a Clive Barker book (can’t remember which one), when the main character gets up and has a long conversation with a fox, or something obviously not real, all the time kind of assuming that he’s dreaming. He says something to the fox about wanting to wake up now, and the fox replies “You’ve been wide awake for the last 10 minutes”. It really gave me the creeps even though the scene wasn’t otherwise that scary.

There was a British movie that was everything The Day After should have been and wasn’t, Threads.

I found The Mothman Prophecies (2002) to be one of the most atmospheric films I’ve ever seen. Spooky from start to finish, and I don’t think I relaxed even a moment throughout. I was very pleasantly surprised…

Its weird that Telcontarstorm posted that. As soon as I read the thread title the first thing that popped into my head was A clockwork Orange. Psycho (even the sequels) left me scarred for life thanks to my dad who thought it was hilarious to show me that movie when I was like 8 or 9.

I remember another movie that bothered me quite alot, but I dont remember what it was called. It was a popular movie too. The one where all the zombie type people are taking over (Like in night of the living dead) So a few people run into this mall, and they like live there as the world is being taken over by zombies, at least I think thats how it went, the part about being alone in the mall while the world was dying is what really scared me.

Sounds like the sequel Dawn of the Dead, which is currently being remade. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see the whole thing, yet I’ve seen the inferior third film - Day of the Dead a few times. (And, of course, the first a few times as well. Like Night of the Living Dead, Dawn is another great example of horror-as-social commentary…

I believe you’re referring to Dawn of the Dead (1978). There’s also a new remake slated to come out this year.

The original The Fly.

It has become a pop-cultural icon (and cliche) but “Help me. Help meee!” still give me the willies.

Dawn of the Dead!! Thank you, for the life of me I could not think of that name. Thank you very much.