Movies that tell you what's going to happen

Tangled. Flynn Rider starts out by narrating, "This is the story of how I died."

Liam Neeson’s oft quoted/parodied “I have a particular set of skills” monologue in Taken pretty much lays out what he’s going to do for the rest of the film.

Simon Pegg loves to do this. In Hot Fuzz, he has them discuss the first four victims and during the discussion, the motives for their murders are all mentioned.

In The Usual Suspects, Mr. Kobayashi hands out packages to the group. The order in which they get the packages is the order in which they die.

Cabaret. Each of the musical numbers reveals the intent of the scene that follows.

In The Sixth Sense, the kid kind of gives everything away when he says

“I see dead people.”

During the filming of Goldfinger, Sean Connery objected to having Q point out all the features of the Aston-Martin in the workshop; he felt they should come as a surprise to the audience. One of the producers (probably Cubby Broccoli) overruled him, saying “First tell them what you’re going to do, and then do it!” After seeing the finished film, Connery had to admit he was wrong and Broccoli was right.

Heaven on Their Minds , the first song in Jesus Christ Superstar, kind of gives away the plot for those who didn’t know it.

Reminds me too of Double Indemnity, which was on TCM a couple of weeks ago. You know almost from the start that Fred MacMurray is going to end up dead, either in the hospital or in the gas chamber.

Both films were directed by the great Billy Wilder!

I have to ask…

How do you know this if you haven’t seen either? :dubious: :confused:

**Max **does indeed tell **Leo **how he expects things to go (one of the funniest scenes in the movie); of course, they don’t exactly turn out that way! :frowning:

What about D.O.A.? Film noir classic where the first scene is Frank Bigelow at the police station reporting his own murder? From the beginning you know he’s been poisoned and he’ll find out who did it. Again, that’s not a spoiler. It’s the first scene.

Yes, Leo was the first to mention the possibilities of “creative accounting,” but it was Max who really jumped on the idea (and on Leo as well). :smiley:

I believe he is talking about not having seen the Broadway musical (2001) and subsequent movie (2005), both of which were based on the original (non-musical, and IMHO far superior) movie (1968).

There’s a second movie?!? Good Lord, why even bother?!? :mad: :smack: :frowning:

Not a movie, but in an early chapter of the final book in Doug Adams’ “Hitchhiker” series, Mostly Harmless, Arthur Dent idly reads a novel which has the whole plot-line hashed out in a paragraph. Arthur throws it away in disgust. The vague description of the plot of that book however is also the plot of Mostly Harmless (which many Doug Adams fans threw aside in disgust after reading.)

Do backward narrative movies count? Like Pulp Fiction and Go? These movies tell you where they end up and the movie is about how they get there.

Ooh, ooh! Just thought of another. In Run, Lola, Run we know how the movie will end and spend the whole time trying to get to an alternate ending, which we also know.

IIRC, in Topkapi they go over the entire plan for stealing a jeweled knife. It goes off as discussed (with one small problem :)). Rififi (which I haven’t seen) also should have a similar scene. Both were directed by Jules Dassin.

As a matter of fact, an explanation of what is going to happen would be required in any caper flick.

In The Stunt Man, Chuck Barton goes over every aspect of the final stunt with Cameron beforehand. It happens exactly as Barton tells him; the suspense is that Cameron isn’t sure that it won’t be deliberately sabotaged.

One minute into Annie Hall is the line “Annie and I broke up.”

In Iron Man the terrorists give away the entire plot after kidnapping Tony, but only if you speak Urdu.

In the original Total Recall Arnold is half sedated when the dream techs ask him what kind of fantasy he wants. He tells them, and that is the exact plot of the movie.

Of the ones I’ve seen, I’d say the scene in True Lies and the description in Shaun of the Dead and are the closest to what I’m thinking of. True Lies is just one scene, but it’s literally spelled out. Shaun of the Dead is some clever word play, but does basically tell you the whole structure of the movie.

I don’t think movies told in flashback, or movies where the ending is revealed early on qualify, since usually there’s plenty of mystery in how you get there.

And, of course, the chorus at the beginning of Romeo and Juliet. Did that sort of thing used to be more common in theater?

I’ve seen the original 1967 The Producers several times.
I’ve never seen the stage play version of The Producers that came out last decade or the movie version based on that stage play that came out in 2005, so I don’t know if these latest versions differed from the original version.