Movies that upset you terribly

The Imdb entry suggests that this is so (I’d forgotten), but the boy and mother reunite happily walking away from the camp liberated. Still hated it.

Salo was the worst unrepentant dreck I’ve ever seen. It almost made me wretch and I’ve had no problem sitting through most in this thread.

Machete. Why does it look like white people are deranged, twisted, slutty, you name it. Not really upsetting. Just troubling.

I never used to be too disturbed by “Requiem for a Dream” but I watched it for the third time the other day and it left me wrecked. I think because I am getting closer to the character of the mom and moving away from the “yeah, cool, drugs” age.

12 Years a Slave is totally tame and didn’t get much emotion from me. I know, I was surprised.

The Dad gets executed by Nazi soldiers, but the boy is rescued when Americans liberate the camp. His execution is offscreen, but we hear the gunshots.

When I was young, Gray Lady Down.

More recently, Sanctum.

Both movies gave me nightmares.

Spoilers:

[spoiler]Both movies involve people visibly drowning onscreeen, the first in a submarine, and the second while cave diving. For some reason the thought of drowning in a claustrophobic environment with no means of escape horrifies me.

(Interestingly enough, I later served on a U.S. submarine. I’m also a certified SCUBA diver. I’ll be damned if I ever go cave diving, though.)[/spoiler]

Audition is one of the only movies I regret watching. After seeing it I said to myself “no more torture horror for me,” and have happily never see Hostel, Saw or any other similar movies.

The scene that disturbed me most in Audition wasn’t any of the torture. It was when the bag moved and you knew something was horribly horribly wrong. It took a few days to get over.

I detest Life is Beautiful, just for this reason. It’s a comedy? Really?
(Plus it was so amateurish - you can see Benigni mouthing the words that the little boy is supposed to say.)

I was going to add “Signs”. The moral of the story is, “Just don’t even try to do anything, God has already decided what you’re going to do with your life and everything along the way that’s horrible is just leading up to what he has planned for you.”

I had to stop watching Stop-Loss. I was coming off a very combat-focused course and stressful field ex leading attacks with ongoing issues at home and just could not handle it on the plane ride home.

Deliverance.

I had fallen asleep and awoke at the rape scene. It made me physically ill and I had to leave the room. I had never been affected like that by anything on the screen. It could be that I was in that twilight moment of waking up that it had such a profound affect on me, but I’ve never watched it again.

Mississippi Burning…that dreck angers me to my core. Saw it witj friends in undergrad…and we were all pissed. The fact that Dafoe and Hackman were in it angers me more. Not a single black character has a name…their only point is to beaten attacked and killed. And to make the FBI heroes? Alan Parker can suck it for that two hour lie he put forth.

I’ll throw in with the Hostel group too.

Also, The Snowtown Murders, a crime-horror film based on an actual series of events. Basically a charismatic, sadistic, “machonazi” type who worms his way into a poor, abused family (mother & her boys) & coerces them into torturing & murdering other community members.

I stumbled onto it randomly on Netflix & the whole thing was gut & heart wrenching to watch.

I think After The Truth is the only movie that really made me angry to the point where I couldn’t watch it.

Same here.
Regarding the movie that upset me the most : “Salo or the 120 days or Sodom”

Just read the Wikipedia article for 120 Days of Sodom. My God! Did anyone actually get through that movie?

If this thread continues, it will surely feature a lot of overlap with the “bleak movies” thread we started about eight months ago.

Dear Zachary fits both threads well.

Seeing Threads and Schindler’s List once was enough for me.

The rape scene in Showgirls really upset me. It was so needlessly cruel it makes it difficult to laugh at that movie like many do.

I know enough about Old Yeller, to know that I don’t dare watch it.

I had a friend recommend City of God to me. After watching it, this is what I wrote on her FB page
“I’ve seen many, MANY, movies. I’ve seen everything from war movies, to gang movies, mafia movies, movies about slums, prostituion, underage sex, teen pregnancy, high school cliques (ie Heathers/Jawbreaker), debilitating mental problems, physical abuse, movies about rape, horror movies, infidelity, blackmail and about a thousand others. You name the subject, I’ve probably seen a movie about it…City of God is, without question, the most violent movie I’ve ever seen.”
I went on to tell her that it’s not often that someone can recommend a move to me that I’ve never even heard of before, then after watching it I’ll use a superlative (most violent) to describe it.

It was very good, but ever since I had a kid, violence towards kids (or anything at all about kids for that matter) really gets to me. If I didn’t have a kid, I’m sure the movie wouldn’t have hit me nearly as hard.

I don’t have kids and I completely agree with you. I don’t know what it is that makes some of us more sensitive to violence than others. <shrug>