Movies With Someone Being Interviewed?

One of these is El Cantante, which opens with the character played by J-Lo being interviewed about her marriage to the character played by Marc Anthony. The rest of the movie is a conventional biopic, with occasional returns to the framing interview.

Also, for what it’s worth, the movie is terrible.

Woody Allen’s Bananas (one of his “earlier, funnier” movies) featured ABC’s Wide World of Sports covering an assassination in a Latin American country, including an interview of the dead Presidente by Howard Cosell.

I thought of Notting Hill, particularly for the press conference at the end. And that reminds me of the press conference at the end of Roman Holiday.

Also, Woodward and Bernstein interview various people as part of their investigation in All The President’s Men.

If you can stretch “interview” into “confession,” Salieri spilling his guts to the young priest in Amadeus about killing Mozart should suffice.

Wasn’t that just a conversation between two friends? Or am I forgetting a scene?

Very fascinating answer, because it seemed like it wasn’t part of the movie, but as documentary segments added on later… I think this was a very wise thing to do. It gave the movie legitimacy, context, and another layer so that when you do see John Reed, Emma Goldman, etc., you have a better understanding for what drives them.

Broadcast News (1987)

A great movie that’s stood up well over time. Exceptional dialog, memorable characters.

There are a few interviews, and big issue with one of them.

Before Sunset

Leaving Las Vegas Elisabeth Shue’s character is speaking to someone in an interview situation for exposition, though I don’t think it’s ever clarified who it is.

Another Woody Allen example: To Rome With Love. A middle-class office worker wakes up one morning to discover he’s somehow become a national celebrity and is invited onto TV talk shows to answer questions about what he had for breakfast, whether he thinks it will rain, etc…

When Harry Met Sally has mock interviews with random older couples, who never appear anywhere else in the film, describing how they met interspersed throughout the film.

Brazil starts with a cheerfully oblivious government official being interviewed on television:

“Mr. Helpmann, the bombing campaign is now in its thirteenth year.”
“Beginner’s luck!”

And another Woody Allen example, his mockumentary “Zelig.” Many people, some of whom are real people “acting,” but as themselves, reminiscing about the fictional title character.

I’ve always found this movie hilarious. Others find it boring. One of my favorite lines from an “interview” (paraphrased): “Cole Porter was especially fascinated by him. He even started writing a song, ‘You’re the Top. You’re Leonard Zelig.’ But then he couldn’t think of anything that rhymed with Zelig.”

I always thought she was talking to her therapist, but I haven’t seen it in a long time.

The Incredibles starts off with news interviews.

Young Winston has a couple of scenes of Winston Churchill and Jennie Spencer-Churchill being interviewed by and offscreen reporter.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith has Brad and Angelina’s characters being interviewed by a marriage counselor.

Unforgiven has a dime-novelist attempting to interview various gunfighters, none of whom are interested.(Except Richard Harris’ character, but he doesn’t last long.)

In The Electric Horseman Jane Fonda’s character interviews Willie Nelson and Valerie Perrine, then has an interesting method of getting an interview out of Robert Redford.

Fourth Woody Allen example - Take the Money and Run.

The Ten Commandments (1956) – God interviews Moses.

Breathless (1960) – Patricia (Jean Seberg) interviews the writer Parvulesco (Jean-Pierre Melville):

“What is your greatest ambition in life?”

“To become immortal...and then die.”

Night of the Living Dead (1968) – Rednecks shooting zombies are interviewed by a field reporter:

“Are they slow-moving, chief?”

“Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.”

Blazing Saddles (1974) – Hedley (“not Hedy!”) Lamarr interviews henchmen.

Superman (1978) – Lois Lane interviews Supes after her editor Perry White (Jackie Cooper) says it’ll be “…the single most important interview since… God talked to Moses!”

Blade Runner (1982) – The opening interview with Leon (Brion James) does not go well for the interviewer.

Gremlins 2: A New Batch (1990) – The leader of the gremlins is interviewed by a dude in Grampa Munster make-up.

Deadpool 2 (2018) – Deadpool interviews potential team members.

Tom Cruise’s character in Magnolia is the subject of a Gotcha! interview that doesn’t play out too well.