Movies With Someone Being Interviewed?

Featured films…

I don’t mean someone trying to get a job… But someone who’s interviewed, mostly likely for being famous, but it could have been a reporter who finds a witness who witnessed something.

“La Dolce Vita” is one… The foreign press asks this international actress questions about Italy, movies, etc…

“Frost/Nixon” is another… I preferred the actual interview, and didn’t think the actor did a good job of playing Nixon.

A hefty percentage of The Usual Suspects involves a police interview.

I’m Not There, the witty and surprising “biopic” of Bob Dylan, contains a scene of a reporter interviewing “Alice Fabian”, played by Julian Moore, who very obviously stands for Joan Baez. Julian Moore totally pulls it off, she has Joan down to a T.

The movie Little Big Man has a “framing” story with Jack Crabb being interviewed (as the oldest and whitest claimed survivor of the Battle of Little Big Horn) by a surprisingly young Will Hickey*.

I’m pretty sure there are a lot of movies with this same framing device, although most “flashback” movies are just someone recalling a story. In this case, at least, it sort of explains the “tall tale” nature of the story, with so many outrageous occurrences and unlikely encounters with historical people. It could all be true, or partly true, or all made up.

• Dustin Hoffman was made up by makeup artiste Dick Smith to look as if he was 120 years old, but you kinda suspect Smith was also making up Hickey to look young. I every other film I’ve seen Hickey looks 120 years old.

That was the third one I was thinking of, but I thought “I wonder how long its before someone picks it”…

“Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit.”

Reds had a series of interviews with “The Witnesses,” people who knew John Reed, to give historical perspective to the narrative.

Citizen Kane has a scene were reporters are interviewing Kane, and the entire movie consists of a reporter from the newsreel doing interviews with people who knew Kane.

The Hunger Games series has quite a few scenes with the tributes being interviewed by Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci).

Silence of the Lambs and My Dinner with Andre

In Being There Chance is interviewed on a late night talk show; this propels him to national fame.

Almost Famous – A budding music journalist interviews a rock group.

The End of the Tour – A writer interviews novelist David Foster Wallace.

Sorry, just to avoid any confusion, of course the name is Julia Moore, and she is female. Don’t know how that could happen twice in my post, maybe it has to do with the film I’m talking about, where such conventions are more than once broken. The hipster Dylan of 1965 is (fabulously) played by Cate Blanchett, for example.

Well there’s “The Interview” starring Hugo Weaving, a really tense Australian film that is basically just a two-character one-room drama about a detective and the suspect he believes is guilty.

The Interview (1998) - A small Australian thriller. Hugo Weaving is brought in on suspicion of car theft, but not all is as it seems. Nearly the entire movie is just him sat in a chair answering questions, and it works because of his acting skill.

Good movie which I would compare to another noteworthy title, but that would give it away.

GAH! Ninja’d by Eyebrows of Doom!

Interviews with real and confected celebrities, musos and eye-witnesses are almost a mandatory component of a mockumentary. Two that come to mind immediately are Spinal Tap and The Rutles.

Early on in Iron Man, Tony Stark is briefly interviewed by an attractive reporter from Vanity Fair. Tony being the handsome playboy that he is, he winds up sleeping with said reporter, as well.

“Interview with the Vampire” - exactly what is says on the box.

Notting Hill has Julia Roberts’ character being interviewed about her latest film.
Love, Actually has Bill Nighy’s character being interviewed on the radio
Spotlight has reporters interviewing victims and perpetrators of abuse.

The Japanese film Funeral Parade of Roses has an interview with the main star woven throughout the fictional story, which is then also interspersed with interviews of other queer citizens on the street. It’s played as a real interview, but that might be part of the schtick. It’s an interesting watch if you’re into 60s new wave films.

Julianne Moore, perhaps?

Of course :man_facepalming:! To my excuse, I got my second covid shot yesterday and am still a bit foggy.