Movies You Didn't Expect To Make You Cry?

I thought I was the only person who likes that movie. That scene in particular is one of my favorite scenes in film. It is so well written. I don’t like Farrell at all really, but this one scene proves to me that he really can act if given the right script. Though I must admit I have an unusual fascination with confessions in literature. I bought the film on DVD, but I never watch it straight through. I just skip to the confession scene.
Also, ditto on UP!

I said it wasn’t nearly as bad, not by a mile certainly! It just reminded me of a “we need to be cheered up, let’s go see this lighthearted movie… ouch” incident that I knew of.

On another note, I cried at the end of Return of the King, and Annie Lennox’s “Into the West” from that scene still breaks me up some.

Son of Godzilla… Okay I was 8 years old.

The last scene, Big G and the kid are on a island that is being frozen by -evil movie science stuff- sure why not- and it is snowing heavily. Godzilla is trudging through the snow trying to make it into the ocean and safety and little Minya keeps falling further and further behind. Eventually Godzilla disappears into the blizzard leaving Minya behind who is calling out for him and now unable to get up. Godzilla comes back and kneels infront of Minya and wraps his arms around his son and the two are covered in snow and frozen…

… until the next movie.

But man, I cried.

Batteries not Included

When all the little ships show up and put the building back together.

Drum God, I apologize for juxtaposing the example I did with what you went through. It was not intended to be any kind of a comparison of scale or scope of grief, and I’m sorry for your loss.

I’m looking forward to getting around to renting **In Bruges **because I think he’s probably very good in that.

I cried my eyes out at the second movie, too.

Snoopy Come Home gets me every single time. And The Lion King, and Toy Story 2, and Finding Nemo, and The Little Mermaid, Wall-E…just about every stinking animated film ever made.

Gran Torino had me in tears several times.

Oh, yes. Probably the most powerful scene in a warehouseful of powerful Pixar scenes.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence had me sniffling and wiping my eyes even as I resented, just a little bit, its efficiency in punching my emotional buttons, especially

when the boy is abandoned by his father in the forest, and at the end when he has that one perfect day with his mom and climbs into bed to sleep… forever.

In The Sixth Sense, near the end when

the little boy - Haley Joel Osment again, dammit! - is sitting in the car, explaining to his mom how her mom still watches over them both.

Dark City, when the hero

goes to the pier and sees his true love waiting there for him, radiant in the sunshine after years and years of darkness.

Breaker Morant, also near the end, when

Morant and Handcock silently grasp each other’s hand as they walk to the chairs in which they’ll be shot by the firing squad.

The Fellowship of the Ring, when Boromir

dies after professing his newfound respect for Aragorn: “I would have would have followed you, my brother… my captain… my king.” Aragorn then closes his eyes and says quietly, “Be at peace, son of Gondor.” Good stuff.

And The Iron Giant, as noted above, for the robot’s last word.

Rent it as soon as possible. He’s fooking brilliant in it!

Incredibly underrated movie. I don’t think you’ll cry or anything, but it was excellent.

Is it the scene where Murray’s trying to stop his coffin from going into the crematorium furnace? That always gets me.

I blame it on the death of a friend of mine when I was 21. First time I’d ever lost someone. Didn’t cry at all at movies until that event happened. Since then, sappy moments get the waterworks going.

Reminds me of when I first saw “School Daze”, some years after it came out. A group of friends had done a talent show skit of one of the song and dance numbers in college and them one of them died our senior year. Finally saw the movie and lost it at that scene.

Almost forgot, I cry every single time at the end of To Kill a Mockingbird, when Scout is walking Boo back home, and Bernstein’s score swells, and Stanley’s narration, and the haunting cinematography. It isn’t a particularly sad moment, but it is so profoundly beautiful and perfect that it gets me every time.

Glad to see my thread has passed hit multiple pages. I have a good track record with such things. :slight_smile:

Drum God: Sorry to hear about your loss and experience at the movies. Sometimes you just can never tell what’s going to be sad and what isn’t.

SunSandSuffering: Gran Torino I actually forgot had me tearing up slightly.

The scene with the girl (I forgot her name) shows up at her house bruised and with a bit of blood running down the inside of her leg. Rape really affects for me some, being an unraped male, I’m not sure why it affects me so.

Gyrate: Burst into tears during a live performance? That’s a good way to top everyone else in the thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maddie: I have never skipped directly to the confession in Phone Booth but I suspect the effect would not be as great. For me, all the previous build-up is mostly what contributes to my emotional weakness when the time does finally come. Especially once Kelly shows up. The hostage-taker definately screws with his head once Kelly is around and you can see that it gets to Stu.

Hockey Monkey: Can you tell me the several times that Gran Torino had you in tears? I can only recall the aforementioned scene as being The Big One.

People by the way, don’t make me tap the sign:

There’s that, but the scene when he…

discovers Michael J. Pollard’s homeless guy Herman frozen to death

And of course “Goodnight, Frankie angel”.

The Outlaw Josey Wales,near the end, when the Union general played by John Vernon, pretending he doesn’t know it’s J.W. he’s talking to, says somethng like “When you do see Josey Wales, tell him the war is over…”

The end of Boyz ‘N’ The Hoodwhen Doughboy pours out his 40, then walks away…and fades ad vanishes from the scene, just before the screen says he was killed a week later.

Miracle Mile. When the credits rolled I burst out crying, as much to my surprise as my partner’s, and said "At least the old folks got to have that sandwich together…:

The climax of *Near Dark *actually choked me up twice–first when the kid vampire is running down the road in broad daylight in flames, and when Jesse and Diamondback take each other’s hand and turn to face the sun and meet their doom together

The last minute of Spunwhen the trailer with the Chef in it suddenly explodes.

Lilo and Stitch.

My poor husband rented it to make me laugh. I was about eight months pregnant and very emotional.

When Stitch is left alone and has no family I sobbed.

The part that makes me cry is the 2-month anniversary of the death of Lilo and Nani’s parents, when Nani sings “Aloha Oe” as they release flowers into the night breeze.

Another part that touches me, but I usually don’t cry since I already cried earlier, is near the end when Stitch is saying goodbye to the girls and says “This is my family. I found it all on my own. Is little… and broken… but still good. Yeah, still good.”

I just found that scene on Youtube and now I want to cry. :frowning:

That was one of my first thoughts . . . along with the fact that

he was driving his motorcycle drunk and was largely at fault for the accident. As I recall (haven’t watched it for a while), he hadn’t really been aware of that until his friend told him, because he had no memory of the crash.

The Wesley Snipes character caused a lot of his own grief too.

Awesome movie. I gotta pick it up on DVD one of these days.