Movies you love but you just don't get

Sort of inspired by this thread . Are there movies that you love but just don’t get? My first example is Barton Fink. I liked this movie from the first time I saw it but I’m not sure if I will ever understand it. The other one I can think of is Taxi Driver. I saw it again the other day and I can’t figure out the ending. Travis wants to kill a Senator, kills a bunch of criminals instead, and now he’s not a psycho anymore? Talk about unique treatment options. I still think it is Scorcese and Deniro at their best. Maybe its just me.

well Donnie Darko is an excellent example of a movie that nobody really understands but many people (myself included) love.

I am strangely fascinated by Pink Flamingos, in the can’t-look-away-from-the-train-wreck kind of way. But I don’t think I could begin to fathom what this movie is about, or what exactly it’s trying to tell me.

Once Upon a Time in the West.

I love this movie, but every time I watch it through to the end, I’m scratching my head, trying to figure out exactly what happened and why…

I never really understood American Beauty until I saw an interview with its production designer the other night.

I guess I’m just the opposite of you. I HATED “Taxi Driver,” and consider it one of the most overpraised films of the most overpraised director in history. But I GET it just fine.

Martin Scorsese and screenwriter Paul Schrader were NOT saying that Travis Bickle was no longer a psychopath at the end. He’s plainly just as crazy AFTER becoming a “hero” as he was before. All that’s change is how he’s perceived. He’s getting to bask, temporarily, in the glow of other people’s adulation. But he hasn’t changed, and will surely do something sick again, soon.

Indeed, when people have asked Schrader why he never wrote a sequel to “Taxi Driver,” he’s often replied “Sequel? Bickle isn’t going to live long enough to have any more adventures.” Schrader saw Bickle killing himself (or getting himself killed) before long.